Chapter Twenty Six

My Darling Daughter Milada,

Happy 17 birthday.

I read the first sentence and my knees began to wobble. I stumbled back into the bed and found my balance. I sat down and continued to read.

On this day 18 years i held you in my arms for the first time. Your mother, she was happy. But I was in tears. I looked at your and thought, How could something this beautiful have come from me? You may be your mother's twin but you had my eyes. You always has my eyes.

I blinked away tears.

This is the first birthday i wouldn't have spent with you. I hope you find some way to enjoy it. And if that stupid prince downs make it worth while let me know, I'll kill him. I know i may not always be your favorite person, you always preffered your mother, but I love you Mil.

Always.

Your Dad.

I cleared my throat and let the tears fall down. I held the paper in my hands and started at it. I was not accustomed to crying but this was the only acception.

My dad and I haven't really gotten along in a long time. I couldn't actually believe he remembered my birthday, considering, he was too busy for me last year.

I sat there for what felt like an eternity just holding my dad's letter. I read his lopsided script over and over again until the words were etched into my brain.

"Your would not believe-!" Cal stormed in with a wide smile on his face but he stopped dead in his tracks once he saw me. I looked up at him not bothering to wipe away my tears. Not because I cared about what I looked like on front of him, because I really didn't, it was just that I was shock. This was me in my truest, rawest form. No walls, no snarky comments, no funny facial expressions. Just....

Me.

Milada.

"Mila," I gave him one of those weird smiles where you pull your lips in. I wiped my cheek and he sat down next to me, his eyes filled with worry. "Are you alright?"

I nodded and cleared my throat. If I said something I would probablt sob, so I didn't and I let him wipe my cheeks.

"I'm fine." I said hoarsely.

"Do I have to kill anyone?" He asked in all seriousness.

I laugh. "No, Princy."

He wrapped his arm around my shoulder and took the letter from my hands. He tried adding humor to the situation by reading aloud in a funny tone. Then he continued and his voice trailed off. Cal looked at me. "It's your birthday?" He asked quietly.

I nodded.

"Well why didn't say anything?" He laughed. "This is amazing! Weer have to have a party and-!"

He took note of my lack of enthusiasm and stopped. I flattened out the skirt of my dress.

"Somethings wrong. Am I missing something?"

I shook my head.

"He must love you and your mother very much."

I shrugged. "My mom's dead, Cal."

Cal opened his mouth but I shook my head. He must've forgotten. He sees his beautiful, loving, mother every day. In that moment I didn't realize how much I missed having mine.

"I don't want to talk about it."

"Can I do anything?"

I frowned. "Why would you?"

"You're my friend," Cal explained. "Perhaps the best of all I have. And it's your birthday. Wet have to do something, if only just you and I."

"I never thought I'd see the day Princy wanted to be adventurous."

"I never thought I'd see the day Mil denied an adventure."

I smiled. "What did you have in mind?"

He smiled and taking my hand he stood up. "Let's go get drunk!"