Chapter 4 | A Coincidence

Taking in her surroundings, Cui Huifen realised that the estate was more well kept than she originally thought.

She had seen her fair share of mansions in her past life, but this was among one of the most dazzling with a mix of modern yet elegantly rustic style to it, in addition to its magnificent three stories and outstanding display of wealth. The grounds work was also immaculate and beautiful.

The woman led Cui Huifen onto a path that went around the large manor and to a smaller residence on the side.

Nearing the residence, which was by no means a plain Jane by its own merits, the old woman smiled, "this is the staff residence. Almost everyone is out getting the manor ready for our young master, so you can be at ease here."

Cui Huifen nodded slowly.

"Is my baby here too?" She asked after a few moments, her voice a tad bit raspy after all that crying.

"He is. Naturally, we were all surprised when the guards found the little bun at the gate last night and there were so many ridiculous theories running rampant. But, now that it's mother is here, all is good."

Cui Huifen smiled with slight embarrassment but inside she was...

Starving.

Gosh. What a time to feel hungry!

They entered the building and came to a lounge area.

"Just wait here, I'll go get the little munchkin. He is still sleeping."

Cui Huifen nodded and sat silently on one of the couches. She felt a little awkward.

Suddenly in a clean living-space, her eyes started to itch, and she became more aware of the layer of dust and grime in-between her fingers and her entire body. Her hair was smelly and in disorder and her skin was dirty with scratches and grazes. She felt like a person who had just returned to civilization after years of suffering in the wild.

It was ironic how the first clean place she had entered just reminded her of how unclean and unkept she was.

Not only that, it made her realize that she would now have to come up with the next part of the plan.

What would she do after getting the baby? Where would they go? How would they eat? Wouldn't the baby need diapers and milk? Where would she get the money?

This new situation posed a lot of new challenges. It was making her head ache.

Deep in her thoughts, Cui Huifen didn't take notice of a young lady who had just entered the building and was now staring at her with undisguised disgust and confusion.

"Who are you?"

Disturbed from her line of thought, Cui Huifen glanced at the owner of the voice.

She was a young woman - likely a teenager - that was of average height, had silky dark, shoulder-length hair, an oval face and cat-like eyes. The girl wore a simple pale purple dress that stopped at her knees and had a complimentary butterfly hair pin in her hair. Overall, she appeared cute and pretty.

But it was a pity, Cui Huifen thought. Something in this girl's gaze made her cat-like eyes, which Cui Huifen had always considered charming, appear haughty and mean.

It had only taken a moment for her to take in the other party's appearance before nodding her head as a slight greeting and looking away.

The girl huffed judgingly upon seeing the blatant disinterest and folded her arms.

"Where's Nanny Li? Nanny Li?!"