Chapter 6 | The Struggles of a Young Mother

It had been a while since she left the estate and although the sun was now shining directly above them, the temperature remained mild and bearable. But, after thirty minutes of walking, Cui Huifen was starting to feel the heat and her feet began to hurt.

Not only that, but the hunger that had subsided earlier had returned and her throat was drying up like a desert.

Obviously she wasn't invincible to human needs.

She had to admit, a little part of her was regretting rejecting the guard's offer.

She was also beginning to worry about the baby and whether he was feeling hot or not. She tried her best to provide him shade and fan him with her hand to cool him. It was around this time that she discovered she had left the backpack with the original owner of the body's possessions in the taxi.

Cui Huifen had definitely lucked out this time.

Those contents, she knew, were incredibly important and she needed to find a way to retrieve them as soon as possible.

Hopefully, that ridiculous taxi-driver hadn't discarded or pawned them somewhere, although the items would be quite worthless to anyone.

Now the next problem was how to find him. It was likely he had returned to City R, which was another three hour drive. Worse, City R was a big place to navigate. Maybe not as large as City Y, but still big.

It didn't help that there was not a single vehicle on this road either.

After some time, Cui Huifen decided to take a break from walking and stood under the cover of a tall tree. Her arm was dying so she carefully switched the baby to her other arm and continued fanning him to ward off the heat.

She looked down at his slight movements, watching his little eyebrows wrinkling slightly before relaxing, with a serene expression.

She was weak and hungry, but something about the infant gave her a tense feeling of constraint more than what she felt of herself.

It then occurred to her that she didn't even know his name. She scanned the original owner of the body's memories and recalled a scene from a hospital a few days ago. The original owner of the body had just given birth and was beyond exhausted after an exhausting 14 hours of labor. A nurse then brought the infant, wrapped in a blanket, closer to the young mother and attempted to hand him over to her when she shook her head and coldly refused.

The nurse was confused.

"Don't you want to see your baby? He's very cute. Just a little small because he came early, that's all."

"No. That's not my baby. I don't have one and I don't want one." The other Cui Huifen declared cold-heartedly as she stared at the baby with resentment.

"Oh... well, he's a precious one still. What should his name be?"

"Cui Qiang." Cui Huifen repeated the name the original owner of the body had said.

That was an uncomfortable and gloomy memory.

She sighed at the pitiful thing. "She may not have wanted you when she first saw you, but at least she possessed enough sense to give you a good name, Xiao Qiang. A powerful little human..."