VERENA

I didn't put on a fight when he wanted me to get in the car. It would be embarrassing to see a grown woman throwing a tantrum. But it's a stupid thought, because when you get kidnapped, you fight back, making it obvious to the public so someone can jump in and save you. Why didn't I cause a scene? Maybe I was scared of the consequences he warned me about. Not only that, but this would be my first time going into a Lamborghini. And his is a juicy cherry red. The color suits him perfectly.

The car ride is silent, and that's because I've shut out the low music playing on the radio. The man sitting next to me hasn't said a thing since we left the hotel. Right now, I'm missing the person he was in the bedroom.

"Are you angry?" I ask, keeping my eyes on the road, watching the turn he makes. I bite at the loose skin on my lip, my nerves eating me away for a response. And of course, I don't get one. I release my lip and shift in my seat, "I guess that means you won't be telling me your name." I say it with desperation, making it completely obvious that I'll continue talking until he stops ignoring me.

He releases a heavy breath, his grip becoming tighter on the steering wheel. He jerks the stick shift, glueing my back to the leather seat as the speed of the car increases. I swallow with annoyance, almost getting whiplash. "I'll take that as a no." I mutter and glance at him, "Why are you so tense all of a sudden? Are you bipolar?"

He makes a sharp turn and his hand swings across my chest, pushing me harder against the seat as he comes to a complete stop. He jerks the stick shift one more time and once the car comes to a complete stop, his body shifts into my direction. "If that mouth of yours keeps going, I'll gag you! And yes, maybe I am bipolar. So watch it." His elbow digs into the arm rest as he points at me, scolding me.

I turn and lean closer to him, testing his patients with me. I search for a sign where I can get him back to where he was before. Maybe he'll answer my question. "Tell me your name." He looks at me with disbelief, his blood boiling, no doubt about it. "Tell me your name and I'll shut up."

His mouth goes into a thin line and he repositions back against his seat. He rubs at his chin, looking out his window as he sighs. His finger taps on the steering wheel as he struggles to decide. With a sharp sigh, he tugs at the gear shift and the car starts to move. I pout with disappointment. I thought I was so close to knowing it. I narrow my head down, feeling stupid to even care.

15 minutes have passed and he's pulling in front of my house. I dwell with embarrassment as I spot the dead grass. The light blue paint fading from the sides of the house. This is how I've been living. Larry comes out wearing a black T-shirt and saggy jeans. He places his hand on one of the unstable pillars on the porch, scowling at us. He looks pissed. I'm surprised he's not making haste to drag me out of the car.

"I'm guessing that's your stepdad." I look over and my kidnapper is looking out my window, judging Larry's choice of clothing.

"Not by choice." I answer, looking away from the window. I can already feel my ears ringing from the expected, loud scolding from Larry. It finally registers what's been said. I quickly look over at him, "Wait, how do you know that?"

"I know everything, sweetheart." He grins, proud of himself for doing a little research which is basically invading my privacy.

"Verena! Get out already!" Larry shouts, pushing off the porch. My heart sinks, scared that he's making his way towards the car. Judy peeks out of the screen door, a cigarette in her mouth as she squints to see who Larry is yelling at so early in the morning. I sink down into the leather seat, knowing it's too late to hide. But for some reason, I feel safer in the car than I would out of it.

"Tell me you don't want to get out, and I'll drive." My kidnapper suddenly says. I look over at him, wondering why he'd give me that option.

"What?" I ask out of disbelief. With all honesty, I hope I heard him right, because right now, driving away is all that I want right now.