VERENA

I see him. I finally see Jungkook but he's sitting so far away. Of course, he is. Mr. Jeon would never allow me to be close to his son. He's here to make a point, not to give the honors to be close to me. Oh, how I wish he did allow it.

My gut is tight, and I feel lightheaded. This is the last place I want to be right now but It's better now that I see Jungkook. He looks so worried and pale. It makes my heart ache.

I want to say something to him. Tell him that I've missed him, but I can't. I must do exactly what Mr. Jeon told me to do. I am to be his fiancé and my attention is only on him. I must act like I don't care for Jungkook.

The thought is painful. How could I ever treat Jungkook that way? But I have to. To keep Jungkook safe in this moment. I trust that he has a plan. Hopefully. I mean, what even am I to him? A toy? A something? Am I even anything to him that he'd go against his father?

One of Mr. Jeon's men pulls a chair out for me. He tugs my hand and squeezes it. I answer to his silent demand, and I sit. The cushion is soft, but I can't get comfortable. My nerves are chaotic right now.

I keep my head down and angled in Mr. Jeon's way. All I need was one glance at Jungkook, but I want more. I must be grateful for that one glance because I might not get another.

"This is, Verena. She is quite the dancer." Mr. Jeon says, holding my hand on the table as a display for Jungkook. "Some of you may know that she works for your sister. I've heard many things about her. I was astonished and wanted to know more. So, I went down to the club and watched her dance for the first time. Then I pulled her aside and confessed my reasonings. Isn't that right, darling?" Mr. Jeon says, hinting that it's my time to speak. I can't do it. No, I don't want to but I have to. Jungkook will suffer more than I will if I don't.

I force a smile and it hurts to even do so. I look up and avoid Jungkook. I can afford to see him now. No matter how much I want to. "Yes, indeed." I stop myself. That's all I wanted to say but Mr. Jeon squeezes my hand once more. My fingers are crushed together, and I try not to wince. "He definitely swooped me off my feet." The sentence spills out and I want to vomit. I quickly look away, holding back my tears.

Mr. Jeon laughs, pretending to be moved by my words. He lifts my hand and pulls it close to his mouth. My heart skips a beat, and my body heats up with disgust.

Mr. Jeon presses his lips to my knuckles, and I jump but not by the peck. I hear a loud bang against the table. I look over and Jungkook is standing, his fist on the table. Mr. Jeon's eyes trail to his son and he grins, "My, have I upset my son?"

Jungkook...

Jungkook looks up, his eyebrows low which darkens his expression. It's last minute but I see Friska sitting beside Jungkook. I'm not surprised since she's the one who let Mr. Jeon in his office. Of course, it's her father.

I wish he wasn't. I really liked Friska as my boss. She seemed so thoughtful and professional. I really hope she hasn't told Mr. Jeon that my friends work for her as well. I hope they remain safe after tonight.

"You have some nerve calling her your fiancé." Jungkook says, fighting every bit of violence back. His jaw clenches while his fist remains on the table. Mr. Jeon releases my hand and leans back in his chair. He's calm and finds all of this amusing. No doubt about it. "Ah, yes. I've forgotten that you're rather smitten with her." Mr. Jeon says, crossing his arms. "Some things are not meant to be, son. Miss Verena is to be my wife by morning and you will carry on as we make this family bigger." The walls cave in and I begin to sway. Does he mean that we'll have children together? That we'll lay in the same bed and do the deed? Me and him?