VERENA

We arrive at Jesses house. It's blinding white exterior and brown concrete clay tiles for the roof. Windows cleaner than anyone's I've ever seen.

The blood from the cut below my chin has dried up. I wiped off the extra blood with my finger, knowing Jesse will flip out if she sees it and I can't afford her asking questions.

The door to her house opens. There she is, Jesse. In what she calls "I just threw something on" Her outfits always look like she put in a lot of effort, but that's just because Jesse is rich and healthy as can be. That and she knows how to look clean and lady like.

"Verena," she softly says with relief. She pulls me into a hug, lightly squeezing me as her hands push into my shoulder blades. "I've been worried sick. I tried calling you all night." She pulls away and her eyes trail to Jungkooks car sitting in front of her lawn. "Oh, did you meet someone at the club last night?"

I look over my shoulder at the Lamborghini. It shines perfectly in the sun, but even the light can't cover up the mysterious man that hides within. His dark secrets and bad sins. "You could say that." I chuckle anxiously, turning back to Jesse, I softly rub the side of her arm. "Can we talk inside?"

Jesse gives me a concerned look and glances back at the car. Anxiety drowns me, wanting her to stop looking so concerned. If Jungkook thinks I whispered something to her, he might...God, I don't know what he'll do. She looks back at me and makes a comforting smile, "Sure. Come on in."

Before entering, I sneak a peak at the car as the engine starts back up and drives forward. I watch as his car drives down the road and makes a turn, disappearing completely.

"So, should I be worried that my best friend disappears and suddenly shows up at my doorstep seconds after her stepmom calls me?" Jesse asks as we enter her kitchen.

Guilt trembles in me. I wasn't expecting Judy to call my friends after leaving like that. She couldn't be worried about me. She's probably pissed that she has to deal with that asshole she calls a husband. "Why did she call you?"

Jesses crosses her arms, that mom look appearing. "She said that you never returned home last night and when you did this morning, you fled with some guy." She walks over to me, releasing a sigh that tells me she's about to lecture me the way Judy is suppose to. "Verena, what happened last night? Where did you go? And where the hell did you get that dress?" Her mouth drops as she looks at the tights I'm wearing, "V, those are Gucci!" She covers her mouth and her eyes shoot back up, "Are these from that guy?"

I bite my bottom lip, worrying that she's getting the wrong idea. But all the memories come crashing in. The murder, the shower, and getting devoured against his car. Fuck. I'm so messed up in the head to enjoy that thought. "I know what you're thinking."

Jesses lecturing stare stings me, "Really? Because I don't think you do. V, you disappeared and now you're here in my kitchen, practically wearing gold from some guy you just met at the club."

"Will you calm down, Please? Let me explain to you before you go jumping to conclusions." I say, placing my hands on her shoulders.

She hesitates, glaring at me. I can tell that she doesn't want to hear anything that I have to say. She looks away and huffs, "Fine, but it better be a reasonable explanation." She walks out of my hold and leans her back on the counter.

I smile at her, "Yes, mother." She doesn't find my humor amusing as she pouts with disapproval. I release a long sigh and lean on the counter, the side of my arm pressed against hers. "There was this random guy sitting at the front row of the stage. He paid me for a lap dance."

"Seriously Verena?" Jesse quickly shouts, not letting me continue. I tilt my head in her direction, my eyes closing gently, "I'm not done..." Jesse fixes herself beside me and waits, not taking her eyes off me. "After giving him one, he tried making a move on me and started touching me in places." I stop, thinking how I should tell this. I can't tell her I got away and later saw the guy get a bullet in his head, and the guy that shot him was the one that dropped me off here. I need to make up something that doesn't have Jesse locking me up in a basement for my own good. "Then someone got involved and scared him off. I was really shaken up and I passed out. He took me to a hotel and allowed me to clean myself up."

Jesse waves her hands in front of her, pushing herself off the counter, "Wait, wait, wait. Where did this happen? Why was he the only one to help you?"

I clear my throat, remembering the dead body. His empty eyes laying in the alley way. "The alley way."

"What were you doing there?" She quickly asks, sounding like she'll never let me out of sight again.

"I was on my way home. You were on stage and that was the only exit In the dressing room I knew about." I answer without pausing, making it sound as if I didn't think much of it. At first, I didn't. Until I witnessed a murder.

Jesse collapses her hands in the shape of a prayer, her eyes shut as she exhales. She shakes her head, the stress vibrating off her lungs, "Jesus, V. You should've asked one of the dancers to take you home."

"It's not like I chose to go with him." I shrug, biting down my tongue. Oh yeah, Because that'll make her worry less. She slowly looks over at me. Unbelievable, yes. I know. "Jes, I'm fine. Look at me. I'm here, alive and...untouched." I lie, knowing damn well I was touched. I grab her hands and rub at her knuckles, "I promise I'm okay."

Her chest rises and falls as she looks for any sign of trauma, hangover, bruises. Anything that tells her that I'm lying. Then, she comes to a decision, "Okay, I believe you." She then points at me, putting me in timeout as if I'm a disobedient child. "None of this to Pepper. She'll make a scene at the club and me and you both know that's not a good thing."

I nod and smile, "Believe me, I know."

Jesse snickers and checks my outfit once again, shaking her head with approval. "I gotta say though, the man got taste." She looks up at me, tease and curiosity in her eyes, "You sure he didn't touch you?"

I push Jesse away from me, "Yes!"

Jesse rubs her chin and scans me, "I don't know. You look like a whole other woman right now. The kind that gets the best sex ever and glows the next day. Almost like a virgin losing their v card."

"Are we seriously talking about sex right now?" I walk past her, sitting at the dinner table. "Did you and pepper switch bodies?"

Jesse chuckles and sits in the chair at the other side of the corner. "That's nothing. If Pepper was actually here, she'd ask if his dick was good."

I smile, knowing that's exactly what she'd ask. My smile dies after remembering the text messages Jungkook read aloud from my phone. Pepper wasn't at all curious where I went last night.

Jesse places her hand on mine and leans to make eye contact with me. "You okay?"

I brush my fingers through my hair, pushing it over to one side as I catch a heavy breath. "Not exactly. I left Judy and Lary because I don't think I can live there anymore. It just, it doesn't feel like home."
Jesse frowns and holds my hand, giving it a squeeze.
"I was hoping you'd let me stay here for a little while until I can afford to get something."

Jesse softly snickers, "Are you kidding? This house is big enough for both you and Pepper. It's lonely enough with just me here."

I feel a knot in my chest, my throat tightening as tears beg to come out. I can't cry now. Not here. Jesse will be worried sick about me if I cry. Then she'll force me to call in tonight. I can't do that either. I just started working at the club. I fight back the tears and work up a smile, "Thank you."