Chapter 23

Jennie

The sound of knocking wakes me, and I blink, disoriented, my gaze dropping to Lisa next to me. I didn't think we'd ever find ourselves in this position, waking up together, married.

Another knock sounds on the door, and I sit up, letting the sheets bunch around my waist. "Lisa," I murmur.

"Hmm?" She blinks lazily and turns toward me, sighing as her eyes flutter open. "Jennie," she whispers dreamily. Her eyes leisurely roam over the black lace nightie I'm wearing, lingering on my breasts for a moment. She didn't come to bed until I fell asleep, and I wasn't sure she'd be next to me this morning at all. It wouldn't have surprised me if she spent the night on the sofa. It can't have been easy for her to have me in her bed when it's my sister she wants.

"Lisa, sweetheart," Donna calls. "There's... there's someone at the entrance."

I tense and let my eyes fall closed. "Irene," I whisper. Guilt hits me hard, followed by intense shame.

"What are we going to tell her?" I ask, my voice trembling.

Lisa sits up and turns toward me, exposing the blue checkered pajamas she's wearing. Irene has matching ones. The mere sight of her makes me feel sick to my stomach. Did she wear them because she misses her, or is she so deeply entrenched in her life that she can't detangle everything they were?

Lisa stares at me for a moment, no doubt noting my anxiety.

"What do you want me to say to her?"

I look down at my hands and inhale deeply before speaking. "I want you to tell her what you told me at the altar. You told me you'd give me your all, Lisa. I'm asking you to keep that promise. I know how much you love her, but I won't let you cheat on me — nor will I let you embarrass me. I demand the respect I'm due as your wife, the respect you would've shown Irene if she hadn't left you at the altar yesterday."

She looks away and nods sharply. "Understood," she simply says. I look up in surprise to find her smiling at me reassuringly, as though he can read the fears I try so hard to hide.

"Let's get ready," she tells me. "She'll want to speak to both of us, I'm sure. I'll leave you to use our ensuite bathroom, and I'll head over to the bathroom in our gym."

I nod and slip out of bed, a thousand different worries running through my mind. I don't want to see them together. Somehow, I've been existing in this fictional world that Irene isn't part of.

I've been convincing myself that I could outrun her, and that I'd get away with taking her place. I knew I couldn't run forever. I'm surprised to find Lisa sitting on her bed when I walk out of the dressing room, a towel pressed to her wet hair. I thought she'd have gone to speak to Irene in private, yet here she is, waiting for me.

Her eyes roam over the dress I'm wearing, and then she looks away. "Ready?" she asks as she stands up.

I shake my head. "No," I admit. I know what my sister is like.

She's always been a talented actress, and not even I can withstand her skills. I'm scared that my resolve will crumble once I come eye to eye with her.

Lisa smiles at me, but it doesn't reach her eyes. "It'll be okay. Let's go."

I nod and follow her into the living room, where Irene is waiting. She jumps up from her seat and rushes up to Lisa, throwing herself into her arms. She hugs her tightly, her eyes falling closed as pure torment takes over her expression. It's obvious how much she missed my sister, and I've never felt more like an intruder than I do at this moment.

"Tell me it isn't true," she begs, her voice shaking.

"I'm sorry, Irene." She sounds as hurt as she does, and it kills me to know I'm all that's standing between them now.