Chapter 61

Jennie

"I can't believe she's pregnant," Rosé says, her face marred with worry. "This can't be happening, can it?"

I nod and lean back on her sofa. In the last couple of days, I've found myself staying away from home more and more often. Lisa is doing her best to reassure me, but her words fall flat when she hovers around Irene constantly.

Grandma was right. It only took her a few days to start worrying about her wellbeing, and I can't begrudge her that - not when I know it isn't about her, but rather about their child. It still doesn't make it any easier to watch.

"Yep," I say, popping the P. "You're going to be an aunt soon. Congrats."

Rosé frowns and tilts her head. "Yeah, you... too?"

My eyes widen for a moment, and then I flinch. Rosé looks away, speechless for once. There are no elaborate schemes, no jokes. Not this time. This isn't a situation we can make light of.

"Grandma told me she'd let me go if I want to. She'll let us get a divorce. I guess Operation Happily Ever After failed, huh?"

Rosé sits up in shock. "Are you serious?"

I nod and stare down at my nails. "She told me that she just wants me to be happy, but I can't tell if it was just a way of asking me to do the right thing and divorce her."

Rosé shakes her head. "No one but Lisa and you get to decide that."

I nod. "I agree, but there's some truth to what she told me. I spent my entire life loving your sister, and what for? In the end, she's still standing between us."

Rosé sits up and frowns, her phone in hand. "Someone disabled my security system."

Moments later, Lisa walks in, her stride confident and her expression unyielding as she approaches me.

"Lisa!" Rosé warns, but she ignores her and shoots her a withering warning look.

She reaches for me and lifts me into her arms, one hand around my back and the other underneath my knee. I instinctively lay my head on her shoulder and breathe her in, my heart instantly at ease. No matter what we're going through, she's always home to me.

"Enough," she tells me as she walks outs, her grip tight. "I've given you a few days to process what happened, but that's as much as I'll give you. You're done running, beautiful. No more avoiding me. That's not how we deal with our problems, remember?"

I look up at her as she carries me back to our home. She's only gotten more and more beautifully-handsome, and with each passing year, I've fallen for her harder.

But is my love enough?

Is it enough to see us through the struggles we're about to face? The media attention, the ridicule, the co-parenting. I'm not sure if I can withstand Irene's continuous hits for years on end.

I tense as we walk into our house, worried Irene might see us. I'm her wife, yet I still feel like I'm doing something wrong by being in her arms in our own home. Is this how I'll always feel?

Lisa puts me down in the middle of our room, and I take a step away from her, feeling conflicted. "Jennie," she whispers. "Can we talk, please? All you've done is work or run off to Rosé's. You once asked me for honest and open communication, and I now ask the same of you."

I glance at her and nod hesitantly. "Lisa, I just don't know what to say. That's all it is." I run a hand through my hair and walk to the bathroom, expecting her to drop it, but she follows me.

"I'm not asking you to tell me pretty and calculated words, Jennie. I've never once wanted that from you. I want your raw, unfiltered truth. Tell me every single one of your fears, so I can take them all away."