Chapter 52

Jennie

"You seem nervous," Lisa says as we pull up in front of my parents' house. I nod and turn toward her.

"Moment of honesty," I whisper. "I'm scared to face Irene, and the thought of being surrounded by my family for an entire weekend fills me with anxiety. Every time I'm here, I feel like I'm lacking. Besides... this house... it's filled with memories of you and her."

Lisa leans in and cups my cheek, her thumb brushing over my lips tenderly. "I'll overwrite them," she promises. "However, Cupcake, if you don't want to go, we don't have to, you know?"

I frown at her in surprise. "Family means everything to you."

She looks into my eyes, her expression carrying a hint of sorrow that she tries to bury behind a smile. "That's because I mean everything to my family."

Hurt renders me speechless for a moment, and she looks away. "I love you," she whispers. "I love you with all my heart, Jennie, and I can't stand watching them take you for granted. They're your family, and I'll always respect and honor your wishes when it comes to them, but know that I don't agree with the way you let them treat you."

I place my index finger on her chin and lean in for a kiss, loaning some of her strength. "I'll be okay," I whisper against her lips. "Because you'll be there with me."

"Always."

"Lisa?" She tilts her head in question.

"Can I ask you to promise me something? This weekend... can you please put my father first? I want to keep the peace as best as I can. He should be able to enjoy his birthday, you know?"

She hesitates for a moment, but in the end, he nods. "I promise," she says, her tone revealing her reluctance. "I'll follow your lead, Jen. It's your family. Your choice."

I nod and lean in, pressing a soft kiss to her cheek. "Thank you," I whisper.

She smiles at me, but I see the worry she tries to hide.

"Ready?" she asks, her tone soft and patient, as though she'll sit here all night with me if I want her to.

"Ready," I nod.

Lisa gets out of the car and walks around it, offering me her hand as we walk to the front door.

Nerves truly set in, and I bite down on my lip. Going home to see my parents should be something I look forward to, yet I always dread walking through this door.

"Lisa!" Dad says, a smile on his face. His gaze drops to our joined hands, and he looks away awkwardly as he pats Lisa on the shoulder. "Got a great bottle of scotch for the two of us, young woman." Dad leans in and presses a kiss to my forehead before leaning in to whisper in my ear. "And I hid some of those cupcakes you like in your room, sweetheart."

I giggle, my heart warming. This is why I keep coming home, because the good still outweighs the bad.

"Thank you, Dad."

"Lisa, Irene." I look up at Mom, who freezes for a moment before raising her hand to her lips.

"Sorry, Jennie. I'm so used to saying their names together." She shakes her head and walks toward us. "I'm glad you're here," she says, but she doesn't sound it. Her smile is far more genuine when she turns toward Lisa. "I prepared the guest room for you, Lisa."

She wraps her hand around my waist and pulls me into her. "I won't need it," she assures her. "I'll share a room with my wife."

Mom's eyes drop down to her hand, and then she looks away, visibly uncomfortable. "Don't you think that's somewhat... insensitive?"