Chapter 35

Jennie

I sigh as I walk into our home gym in the morning, exhausted and annoyed. Something about that conversation with Irene didn't sit well with me, and it's ruined my mood ever since.

"Nini?"

I look up in surprise as Lisa places the weight she was holding on the floor. She smiles at me and walks up to me, her expression searching. "Morning," she says as she lifts her hand, her touch tender as she brushes the back of her hand over my face. "You came to bed so late last night. Did you sleep okay?"

I pull away from her a little, suddenly feeling guilty. My conversation with Irene is so deeply embedded in my thoughts that I can't outrun it.

With me to rely on, Lisa won't expect too much from you, and you won't lose so much of your own life. After all, eventually, you'll have to go back to it, won't you?

I nod at her and force a smile. "Yeah, just had a lot of work to finish," I murmur, lying to her.

I take a step away and walk over to my yoga mat, mindlessly working my way through my stretching routine. I've been so restless all night that I woke up with all kinds of aches.

I inhale deeply as I try my hardest to fight the resignation I feel. Lisa won't stay mad at Irene forever. She never does. Throughout the years, she's always forgiven her no matter what she did. She'll eventually forgive her for leaving her at the altar too, and I don't want to bear witness to it. I don't want to be collateral damage in their story.

I lie back and lift my leg, trying to stretch my hamstrings. I'd been on such a high because of the progress in my relationship with Lisa, yet one single conversation with Irene made me feel guilty for every second I've enjoyed with her. She'll never forgive me.

If she finds out what happened between Lisa and me, she'll never speak to me again. My relationship with my sister might be rocky, but I don't want to lose her. When she said that I was caught between Lisa and her, she was right... just not in the way she thinks.

"Let me help you with that."

Lisa kneels in between my legs and moves her hand to my calf, pushing my leg back for me. I watch her for a moment, my heart squeezing painfully. The main reason I never made a move was because I knew that it'd cost me everything, and despite being married, that hasn't changed.

Lisa puts my leg over her shoulder and leans into me, her eyes on mine. "You're quiet, Cupcake. Give me a moment of honesty, baby. What are you thinking?"

I place my other leg over her shoulder too, and she leans further forward, pushing my legs toward me. She's so close... I could grab the collar of her t-shirt and kiss her with such ease.

"Irene came to see me," I told her, my tone defeated. I look away and inhale shakily. "She wants to talk to you. She says you've been declining her calls."

She clenches her jaw, a frown on her face. "Really now?" I nod, and Lisa leans in a little further. "And what would you like me to do? Tell me the truth. What would you have me do, wifey?"

I look into her eyes and breathe in deeply. "I don't want your eyes on anyone but me. I want you to be mine."

She smiles then, and I can't help but smile in return, relief washing over me. For years, I've been scared to voice my needs, but she makes it so easy.

"Give me another moment of honesty, baby. These stretches? Do you ever do them with any other men?"

My eyes widen, and she grits her teeth when I don't immediately answer. "Only with my trainer."