Isolation

TW: Mentions of Death, Swearing, Blood

Laughter... Jesse's home was tainted with the sweetness of a child's giggle, resonating from the living room only a few feet away. The two boys, one old and the other young, had their sight locked in on the TV, displaying an emotional movie of loss and adventure. It's title

"Finding Nemo"

A film of Hunter's choice that at first was met with groans and barters of something better, but now, an hour in... I swore Jesse's eyes glistened with un-spilled tears.

"Dude, this guy Crush is definitely the coolest." Was the argument being passed around, our child's head shaking in certainty.

"No Jesse! Gill's the best!" His screeching put a smile on both our faces, flipping the pancakes delicately as the butter lightly burned my open palms.

"You can't compare a turtle to a mangled fish! Turtles are the shi-"

"Jesse!" I warned, glaring playfully at his back that showcased the faint red marks of a sleepless night, peeking through his T-shirt.

" Sorry, turtles are the best... Yeah, that's what I meant." But Hunter remained unconvinced, flicking between the bright colors of a screen and the relaxed figure beside him.

"Can we go to mini-golfing Jesse?" Throughout the passing days, Hunter had woven his father between the creases of his tiny fingers, his willpower slowly dissolving each time he stared into the mirror reflection of his blue eyes.

"Yeah, of course." But I don't think Jesse minds.

The familiar tone of the phone rings out just as the movie reaches its climax.

"Pinkman phone!"

"On it." Bustling past my hunched figure, his paint-stained hands(from the earlier day's activities) come to clench at who speaks on the other end. Sharing a knowing glance before moving to the security of the bedroom.

" Who was that mom?" He's always been a curious child, grasping new information like oxygen to fill his ever-growing lungs. However, some questions require a border between truth and a lie.

"Just someone from work. Come on, pancakes are ready." I had engrained manners into him since he had begun to speak, politely pulling out his chair and effortlessly eating the delicacy of my homemade breakfast.

Jesse joined in after my second bite. Eyebrows furrowed, jaw clenched, stabbing the food a bit more forcefully. He wouldn't meet my eyes. Deciding to not bring it up until we stood alone in the kitchen, my hands submerged in water with his body looming close to mine.

"Is Mr. White okay?" My voice held more annoyance than care, not able to deny the way my respect for the man crumbled through its seams.

" I don't know, he called to say that the money for his treatments is disappearing and his family is growing suspicious at the lack of funds."