Fixing the Problem

TW: graphic description of gore and violence

Jesse couldn't tell me what the issue was over the phone, but I could tell he was freaking out, hard. With no other option, I dropped Hunter off at my aunt's and headed over to Jesse's as fast as possible. It looked peaceful on the outside, meaning it wasn't a fire or some sort of gunfight which lessened my worry by a little bit. Knocking on the door, I was met with only silence until I saw Jesse peek his head through the side window. Seeing it was only me, he quickly made his way over to open the front door.

"Jesus, what's with the get-up?" He stood there in a gas mask and apron, along with the ugliest pair of rubber gloves and boots, almost like he was a slasher villain in a cheesy horror movie.

"Before you come in, put these on." He shoved the equally as ugly equipment into my arms, making me raise an eyebrow as to why we were doing this.

"Just trust me." Doing as he says, I slip on the coverings and am soon pulled inside harshly, expecting to hear about a gas leak or chemical disaster.

"Jesse can you please tell me what's--" My own words slipped through my fingers as I walked around the corner to the most gruesome sight I've ever witnessed. There was a 6-foot hole in Jesse's ceiling and beneath that gap was a pile of human flesh and bone, with Mr. White wiping up some of the blood already.

"I-Uh-I-I... Jesus Christ. What the fuck happened?" It was beyond gruesome, but I couldn't look away, it was as if my feet melted to the ground in shock.

"Jesse, being the genius that he is, tried to dissolve the body in his very own bathtub. Even though I warned him of the consequences of not using Polyethenol, and low and behold we find ourselves in this horrific mess." Mr. White grumbles beneath us, continuing to soak up the blood and bones. Jesse didn't argue with him, silently picking up the box of baking soda and beginning to clean the opposite corner. I had no words as I got down on my knees and began scrubbing away with a sponge, picking up the chunks of bone and putting them in a bucket to my left. I was kneeling in that pool of blood for god knows how long, scrubbing away until I was practically numb to the sight. My mind couldn't grasp that this was a human being, someone who breathed now a puddle in a bucket. To think we are such righteous creatures when in the end, we are just walking blood sacs that can be reduced to nothing in only a second. Time continued to tick by, my knees sore and bruised until finally, there was not a trace of the color red to be found. Soon after we finished, Mr. White called us both outside, the two of us hobbling out to the backyard with our shifting bones. He told us to stand in a children's pool to get hosed off, all of us being covered in bodily fluids, as we began to get sprayed by water. Jesse hosing down Mr. White first, then Jesse to me. In the end, I was to rinse Jesse, the water beginning to hit his apron with the blood seamlessly flowing down into the pool below.

"Dude, you missed a spot," Jesse tells me and I obey and hose off the area he pointed to.

"Liz no, more to the right... Are you even trying--" His complaining was immediately cut off by the hose aiming now at his face, where I did not hesitate to spray him.

"Oops," I say boredly, even though it hit the gas mask he was still wearing, my message got across. Stepping out of the pool, I take off the now-washed equipment and head inside, falling sleepily onto Jesse's couch, the events of today taking their toll on my body. I couldn't exactly fall asleep, but I leaned my head back onto the cushions, and let myself relax for a moment.

"Hey, I uh, brought you some of my clothes, in case you needed them." One of my eyes peeks open to see Jesse put some of his folded clothes onto the seat beside me with a small smile before he quickly walks away and up the stairs. My hand only reaches for the oversized sweater that seemed to be the comfiest, flinging onto my body and it helps me relax just a little better.