Night Ops

Suddenly the lights go on and Yearling finds herself alone in the Forbidden Zone.

Slap in face – resume

Wolf face close up – Yearling – loud whisper – telepath – WAKE UP – stay asleep you are in a dream you must see this

A separate self of bubbles up and joins her. This is a night hunt, the real thing, and see before day hunt. Part of me is sleeping, part of me is outside the body.

Shhhhh – don't tell anybody. Up and out – into pitch darkness following telepath signal and dialog.

Where are we going? Going to learn you up you will get the real deal on what wolves do. Or something like that, hard to remember.

Nigh vision like wolves on special glasses or reading -- House – another with forest/forest/forest where are we going? Dark wall. We come to the edge of the forest,  and encounter another part of the ship. What is this?

Flashes back to top in what he saw, put together, forgot.

The wolf shuttle – telepathically run – not all humans are telepathic just the two CEOs – mind-stretching

Go past the ICU – that is not a real hospital or it is but primarily for something else. THERE ARE EXPERIMENTS HERE. Everyone's asleep we are going in there.

Suspense. Night watch: a wolf and a human are on watch. New concept.

I have never been in an ICU before but this one is  devilish in both senses.

Things you should know in emergency.

Funny feeling dealing with Yearling – slow read and notes on same – a chapter a day –

This will be all night – long day – Yearling does not sleep she lets out her alternate self. Take journal off this and do spare extracts.

Command Central –a big screen and lots of small ones floating in and out and changing perspective – big common area – wolves are walking with head sets, reporting, on their own – a universe of noise is coming out – invisible – steal them – cannot be seen – junior partners

Alien spirit is there – description – AS sees him and raises an eyebrow – Yearling says "he knows everybody" -- they pass by

How it smells – funky -- wolf sweat on all the time – awareness drugs

Alarm goes off we go invisible, still out there runrunrun – chase – wolf – catch or invisibility detection – clears – on to another forest that is different – pitch dark – they join another pack – elk runs by – switch on high-test wolf night vision –

We join the elk chase with other wolves – a familiar stream of fast impressions full speed – in retrospect much better at hunting than what would happen the next day.

In the pack running close-by is Yearling's crush-friend – there is an intense flood of feeling in the air.

The hunt – speeding up and slowing down – exhausted and keep going – we do the divert thing – it's like a chess game with the elks and we get flashes of their telepathy – two worlds clashing.

Dialog examples – telepathy – I do a flash-call to Cassandra – out of reach –

Smell of elk fear – catch – the other wolves all over the elk doe – they bring her down en masse and rip at her belly – is this a dream?

Through a telepathy bond via Yearling we in the pack are experiencing the elk doe and her death.  This wolf is foggy in the head but seems to know things the other wolves don't.  Short-comes and talents.

Other animals swarm in – where to store the elk meat and protect it – we have to get back to the den – other pack stays this is near the den.

Cassandra – she is calling – Get Home – she is furious that they went on this – the dream is about to expire – blinkers are flashing in our heads.

Yearling vanishes.

Then the alternate version of me vanishes, the night hunt is over but the moon is still at its height, but dimmed..

Don't ask me how that works.   It's still the darkness of midnight, the time at which I left.

Somehow the clock (a clock?) has been reset and I've got time.

I sleep a long deep sleep and then wake up.

Mentor's and Cassandra's pack are stirring. The next day's hunt is about to begin.

Things work differently here.