(20) Cocky

Song: Nothern Light - Zatrix

~~~

"I hope you're not still getting lost on your third day here" Kaltuk's voice pulled her out of her thoughts

"I'm not"

"Your Marui is the other way"

"I know"

"Then where are you going?"

Tyane pointed to the cluster of trees at the end of the village "There"

Kaltuk frowned "Why?"

Tyane looked at him like he just grew a second head "To sleep obviously what else would I be doing past midnight"

He blinked. once, twice. and then he looked at her like she had a third eye "In the woods? Why?"

"Relax, it's not like I would be alone. I have Kar'am"

Kaltuk looked flabbergasted "The same Kar'am that tried to kill you on your first meeting?"

"to be fair all Ikran tried to kill their soul brother or sister at one point"

He looked even more flabbergasted at her explanation.
"Why don't you just sleep in your marui like normal people?"

Tyane shot him a sideway glance but did not explain.
he sighed "fine. but I'm coming with you"

at that, she finally stopped walking and turned to him "Woah! Hold your horses"

he cocked his head to the side "Hold what?"

"it means don't get ahead of yourself" Tyane explained.

She paused.

"oh second thought, Kar'am would eat you up." she smirked "do join me." with that turned around walking into the woods

"Very funny" Kaltuk grumbled but followed anyway

"Keep your limbs close" Tyane warned in her best spooky voice and Kaltuk mumbled something about too late for this much energy.

~~~

"two things " Tyane turned to Kaltuk stopping right before the clearing where she knew her Kar'am would be. "Don't. ever. look him in the eye. and let him make the first move. believe me, you don't want him to think you're challenging him."

she waited until he nodded before turning around and walking into the clearing, calling for her Ikran.

A few seconds later, Kar'am landed in front of her with a soft thump.

"Ma Kar'am" Tyane smiled and petted his head as he nuzzled her neck. She grabbed her braid and connected it with him.

Who's he? Kar'am asked and huffed in Kaltuk's direction
As he raised his hands in surrender.

Someone I want you to scare a little, see if he runs off. Tyane answered.

My pleasure. Kar'am answered. if Ikran could smirk, then that's what he's doing. In A spilt second his "smirk" vanished and he snarled viciously directly in Kaltuk's face.

To his credit, he didn't even flinch.

He's not that bad. Kar'am said. I don't completely hate him. 

He nudged Kal's hand with his head.

"Maybe I won't get to see you become Kar'am's dinner after all,"  She said as Kal petted Kar'am's head.

"Guess you won't get rid of me that easy" He chuckled.

"don't get cocky now. we don't like cocky" She said in a threatening voice but there was a hint of amusement in her voice.

~~~

play it bbe
Age: Tyane is 13 and 6 months.
Maru'ay 13 and 11 months.

~~~

"I can't believe I'm almost done with training"  Tyane mused, adjusting herself on the branch she's laying on.

Mar'uay groaned "Cocky Skawng! I still have six months to go"

"Maybe, you know. it's just a maybe" Tyane started "If you trained with me when I ask you to. you'd have a month and seventeen days to go as well!"

"But you literally spent every waking moment the last three months training" He whined

"and look who still has double that left" she countered

"Shut uuup" He sighed exasperatedly "I can't take another six months of this. I'm too tired!"

"poor baby," she said sarcastically patting his head.

"When did you become so cruel?"

"I just love you that much"

He rolled his eyes and turned on the branch to face her "What are you going to do after you're done with training anyway?"

"I'm going to complete the rite" She shrugged non chalantly as if they weren't talking about her stupidest idea yet.

"WHAT?!" Mar'uay's head swivelled so fast it was a miracle it didn't give him whiplash. "No one, and I mean NO ONE, has ever completed the rite alive before fourteen"

"I know" She sat up and shrugged again "I'll be the first" Confidence and determination radiated off her in waves.

Mar'uay genuinely never wanted to do anything in his life more than he wanted to grab his best friend's shoulder and shake her hard enough for common sense to find its way into that thick skull of hers.

Instead, he just sighed in defeat "I can't convince you how stupid and reckless I think this is, can I?"

"Even Grandma didn't succeed at that"

If Mo'at couldn't convince her, I definitely won't. 

"Alright. Then... I support you" He smiled but there was a hint of sadness in it "but you have to promise me you won't die, I can't lose my best friend"

"I promise I don't intend to-"

"No." He said sternly "Don't bullshit me." he unsheathed a small knife and made a cut across his palm and extended his hand "Promise me you won't die"

Tyane sighed before unsheathing her own knife and mirroring his earlier movement then taking his bloody hand in her own "I promise you I won't die"

"okay" Mar'uay sighed in relief but didn't let go of her hand "Cause if you do I'll bring you back just to kill you myself"

Tyane laughed laying back down on the branch but gave his hand a reassuring squeeze "Her I thought you'd bring me back because you love me that much"

~~~

21/7/2023