Chapter 1

All rights go to Susan Collins

I stormed into the training academy in my teal and black checkered PJ pants and a black tank top. I ran out of my house not even changing into normal clothes. Luckily I keep an extra pair here at the academy. I go into the locker room and change into my training clothes ignoring the group of girls that tease me. I walk out of the locker room and head straight to the knives cranking the simulator up to the highest level. Most people wouldn't dare to do that. Sometimes I might not even do it. But I'm at my best when I'm angry.

This happens every year on my birthday- which just happens to be the day before the reaping. It all started on my 5th birthday. I let the memory take over me as I continue throwing knives.

.............................................................................................

It's my 5th birthday and my parents told me that they had a big surprise for me. I was super excited as I bounced down the stairs and sprinted as fast as a 5 year old could to the dinner table. My parents are there sitting. My mom sits there with a phone in her hand in deep conversation with someone. Her long brown hair is pulled up into a very formal ponytail. Her brown eyes show stress and exhaustion. I look a lot like her. The only difference is our eyes. I get that from my dad. My dad is reading the newspaper with a cup of coffee in his hand. His blonde hair is gelled back with his piercing green eyes trying to understand every word on the paper. When my dad sees me come in he singles me to come. My mom sees me a couple seconds after and quickly hangs up the phone.

"Hello sweetie Happy 5th Birthday!" My mom says joyfully.

"That's strange" I thought. They basically just ignore me and don't care about a single thing I do.

"Today is a very important day. Today you get to start training for the Hunger Games!" My mom exclaims

"The what?" I ask

"The Hunger Games" my mom says again.

"The Hunger Games is when 24 people between the ages of 12 and 18 are chosen to go fight for their lives. One of them is a girl and another is a boy." My dad explains

"Basically because we live in district 2 we get to train for those games. We are then called careers. Careers usually win the games. But sometimes they don't. You my dear child are going to win those games. Our whole family has." My mom states

"Remember how your brother left for a couple of weeks? My dad asks

I nod my head

"Well he went into the Hunger Games and came back a victor. That's why we have all this rich stuff." My dad finishes. (don't mind that the age difference is 13 years 💀)

"What do you think sweetie!" My mom asked excitedly.

I look down and then back up again.

"Wha- what- what if I don't want to go to into the games" I say stuttering

My mom, who was holding a glass of water, screams and drops it on the floor. One of our maids comes and cleans it up as my mom keeps talking.

"Never say that again! It is an honor to be in the games and even more to come out as Victor. You will train, go into the games at 17 and then come back as Victor." My mom screams

"But there are already 3 victors in the family." I state quietly

"After me and you mother got married we told all of Panem that our whole family would be victors. If that can not be true we will disown you. Understand?" My dad says sternly

I look down

"Yes I understand" I say as quiet as a mouse

"Then it is settled. You will start training in a couple of hours. I suggest you get ready." My mom says. Then she grabs her phone and starts making calls as she walks away.

I look at my dad to see any kind of regret in his eyes about what he just said. But all I see is disappointment.

A few hours later we enter the academy and I'm put with the other 5 year old's. I had shown quite a liking for throwing knives early on and I stuck with it. Over time I grew to good for the five year old group and started training with 8 year old's.

My family was proud. But after that day they never thought of me the same.

..............................................................................................

I throw my knife and it impales the hologram. I'm waiting for more. But when none come I step out of the room. I may not want to be here. But I can still be the best.

When I exit the room there is a boy with blonde hair and dashing blue eyes staring at me doing a slow clap.

Cato Hadley

The most arrogant boy in the academy.

"Well don't you have some skills with a knife. What's your name?" Cato asks in a flirtatious voice

"Clove" I respond trying to get this conversation over with

"Nice to meet you Clover" he holds out his hand "I'm Cato"

"I know who you are.... And it's Clove!"

"Ok whatever you say Clover"

I walk away so I can head home to get ready for the reaping tomorrow. 

If you could please share this story to your friends! It will help so much!