Chapter 5

All rights go to Susan Collins

Cato pauses the Tv and I sit there looking stunned. I have a sister who went into the same games as Cato's brother and they both didn't make it. I don't understand! How could my parents not tell me this!

Cato looks at me just as shocked as I am

"Clove. Your sister-sh-she died in the arena. But your parents said that they were going to have children who were all victors. What did your parents do?"

"I-I don't know." I say. "I didn't even know I had a sister until now. I mean I vaguely remember these games obviously because there was something that kept bothering me. But I didn't know it was this!" I exclaim

"Do you want to keep watching?" Cato asks

"Yes. I don't know how far she made it or anything. I need to know what happened." I tell him

"Alright" Cato says, and the tape continues.

Everything is going smoothly for the rest of the reaping. Both Rain and Adeline get 9's in training and both seem to be catching the attention of the crowd in their interviews. It's only when the bloodbath starts things start to take a turn downhill.

The bloodbath starts and about 2 minutes in Rain has a crazy look in his eyes. He doesn't seem to know what is going on and it seems like he lost his way and started going a little crazy.

This is shown as he towers over Adeline and stabs her in the back even though they were in an alliance.

I gasp as I witness what happened. Now everything is starting make sense. Why my parents hate Cato's family and why they don't want me to hang out with Cato. And why they never cared to mention I had a sister because she not only died- but she died in the bloodbath.

Me and Cato look at each other for a long minute before I shoot up and run down the stairs.

"Clover wait!" He yells

But I'm already out the door running home.

I don't know what to think. My parents have lied to me for years. Not only that , but my brother to. He and Adeline were closer in age and there was no way he would forget her. Also my one and only friend's brother killed my sister. My thoughts are racing so I go back to the academy and throw knives to clear my head.

After about an hour I run home and burst through the door screaming

"How could you not tell me that I had a sister for all these years!!!" I yell at my parents. 

My parents look up from what they are doing stunned 

"How did you find out about that!" My mom exclaims!

"It doesn't matter how! What matters is that you have so explaining to do after lying to me all these years!" I shout at them

My parents sit me down and tell me everything. They also call Griffin over to.

They tell me that they were disgraced after what happened that day. They were bombarded with paparazzi asking questions and begging for interviews. In the end they blamed it on the Hadley family for ruining her chance. They told them that she totally could have made it out if Rain had just been mentally stable.

I finally understood why they didn't want me talking to Cato. When they finish I run up to my room trying to calm down from all of this information. I grab my diary and start writing about it.

My parents come up and say that this stays between the family. If anyone finds out they would be doomed and humiliated. I close my eyes and drift to sleep without any dinner. I'm filled with to many emotions to do anything else.

I hope that when I wake up it is all a dream.

Shorter chapter again! Hope you enjoyed!