chapter six

My eyes flutter open as I feel the morning sun hit my face, the warm spring breeze filling my room trough the window that has been left open for the night, fresh air circulating the space.

I let my eyes adjust to the brightness as I sit up on my bed. I could hear the people running around the castle, preparing for tonight's event. Wait... event? Realisation struck me like lightning as I remembered that it's happening today.

I didn't have to do any preparations, at least nothing yet, though Donna might ask for my help later on.

I tiredly get up from my bed, and make my way to the closet with small steps. I pick out a casual dress, knowing that I'll change into a more formal one later, when the gala comes.

--
Sanji has been awake since early morning, his family next door making it almost impossible for him to shut his eyes and fall asleep. He did get a few hours, but it was still less than he should be getting. Not only that, but his mind was clouded with thoughts about a certain someone. Was she just trying to act kind to me? Or does she really not consider me a freak?

His thoughts are interrupted by a servant entering his room, informing him that breakfast is  here, and gently places a tray of food on the small table next to the prince. He thanks the servant as he exits the room, leaving Sanji alone with his rambling brain.
--

I knew that I would be just in the way of the busy and dedicated workers if I stayed in the castle, and that Donna will find me if she needs help with anything, so I decided to let them work in peace as I walk out my room.

The castle's enormous corridors were more crowded than they are most of the times, the servants running around. A few carrying push carts, each with a different obejct or food resting on it.
"Good morning, lady Y/N" a blonde maid greets me.
"Just Y/N, we've been friends for years now." I smile at her. She seems a bit taken aback, but returns the gesture.
"Good morning, Y/N" she walks past me.

I merrily skip trough the corridors, the crimson carpet muffles the sound of my shoes as I make my way to the garden, knowing that I won't be in the way there, due to the preparations being made only inside of the castle.

The fresh air hits my face as I push the grand, white doors open, getting a view of the majestic garden. I close the door behind me, the noises from inside being replaced with the sound of birds as I walk further away from the castle, heading into the greenhouse at the end of the garden.

--
Sanji has been standing in the same spot for the past minutes, just simply thinking. His ears picking up the sound of footsteps and chatting from outside his room, likely the servants getting ready for tonight. He realised that he can't just stand there all day.

His first thought was to help out in the kitchen, but yesterday flashed before his eyes, the cooks telling him that he is not allowed in the kitchen since he is a guest. Still, he had to occupy himself for the day, or he'll end up dying due to the boredom. He sighs as he moves from his spot, and stops at the huge window.

The view was beautiful, he had to admit that. He got a room with a view of the huge garden of the building, the perfectly trimmed bushes and the colourful flowerbeds spread out below him since he was in an upstairs room. The idyllic view being broken by somebody happily making their way trough the gravel road between the plants.

He squints his eyes to see who this mysterious someone is, only to notice that it's the same girl from yesterday, Y/N. She was heading to a small greenhouse further away from the main area of the garden, her h/c hair flowing in the warm breeze, almost mesmerizing.

Sanji, not being able to think of another option, lets out a sigh as he exits the room to keep the princess company. What if she just wanted to be alone? What if I just bother her? She would tell me that, right?
--

My small greenhouse finally comes into view, making me crack a relaxed smile at the sight. I open the doors, and the smell of my plants hit my nose along with the humid air and warmer temperature.

It was warm enough outside, but the temperature was even higher in here, high enough to consider it hot like it was the middle of summer. I decided that it was the best if I quickly water the plants and leave right after I finished before I get suffocated in here.

I grab the bowl from the small table in the greenhouse, and walk out to the barrel by the wall to fill the bowl. I take in the sound of leaves rustling around me, the soft, somewhat unkept grass rising up to my ankles. The gardeners didn't come here often, this part was further from the main garden, no one came here except me, this place was more remote, behind trees and bushes. The area out here was more of my area, the small forest, field, the swamp and the creek being only visited by me.

I dip the bowl into the barrel full of cold rainwater and then head back to water my plants inside, the humid air returning again. Even though my parents are hiding this from me, I am not dumb, and know that they will in fact make me marry that Ichiji, and I will not have a word in this. Everything is a sign that it will happen, even if they are not planning to tell me about it for the next day, maybe weeks. It's not a secret anymore, no matter how they are trying to hide it. When Cass mentioned this a few days ago, I was extremely doubting it, but now it is as clear as day. But when I get married, where will I need to live? Can I stay here, with Donna, with my greenhouse, in the castle where I grew up? Or will I need to live with the Vinsmokes, a place I have never been to before, one that is inhabited by cold, heartless monsters?

My mind is clouded with these thoughts as I finish watering. I place the now empty bowl back on the wooden table where it was before, and leave the greenhouse.

"So I was right, then. We meet again, Lady Y/N"