chapter eight

"Lady Y/N, I was fearing you may not make it back in time for the gala! We have two hours left, and you are not even close to ready!" Donna looks at me as soon as I arrive back at the stables with Sanji. She was not mad, just a little bit worried. She sends me to my room to start getting ready while she has a word with the prince. I glance back at Sanji and send a little wave to him as a sign of goodbye.
"Apologies, Miss Donna." Sanji says, holding one of his palms to his chest.

--
"No need for that, prince Sanji. Was lady Y/N a good company?You should get ready too." The maid, whose name I learned was Donna asks.
"She was indeed a good company, I would love to spend more time with her. The land here is amazing, I wish we had more places like this in our kingdom." I reply, looking at the field behind the main garden.
"Glad to hear that she is finally socializing. She does not interact with guests much, I was suprised when Karl told me that she was spending time with you. I consider this a rare phenomenom. Thank you." She smiles as she explains this to me.

I was a tad taken aback by her words. She doesn't socialize? Is she doing this because she noticed how I'm always left out and wanted to make me feel included? Or does she magically like me more than my brothers? That would be a miracle.

"Have a good time at the gala, prince Sanji!" She bows before me and walks away with small steps, likely heading after Y/N to help her. I was left there, trying to process what Donna said.
--

I stand in front of my wardrobe, wondering which dress to pick. This time it was going to be a big event, high-rank people, lords, and kings from far away kingdoms all being invited. I knew that I had to look good, not to leave a good impression on the others, but to not anger my mother. And maybe for Sa- what am I even thinking?!

Just then, I hear as the white door creaks open, Donna stepping inside.
"Lady Y/N, sorry to keep you waiting." She slightly bows her head and closes the door.
"Donna! Do not worry. I already picked out a dress while you were not here. What do you think about it?" I question as I take out the dress.
"Perfect choice, lady Y/N! Should I do something with your hair after you put that on?" She steps closer.
"No please, I would like to keep it this way" I tell her, giving a closed-eyed smile.

I get into the dress relatively quickly, still having over an hour until I need to go down to the ballroom. Donna asks if I made any new paintings yet, and I pull out the colorful canvas from under my bed.
"What do you think, Donna?" I turn it towards her, anticipating her answer. She was always honest about my works, and would tell me if something looked off or wrong.
"Hm, amazing, lady Y/N! The background is even better than the last time! Though, the person in your work seems familiar to me" she replies. I look at the painting, forgetting what I made just a day ago. My face turns a slight red colour at the realisation.
"Does the person in the painting happen to be modelled after one of our guests?" Donna lightly smirks as the puts up the question.
"I don't think I even noticed it! But yes..." I look away.
"At least you have a good face memory" she chuckles, covering her mouth with the back of her palm. "You even got the brows right."

My face flushes in slight embarassment, the painting of Sanji still in my hands. Let's just hope he does not find out about this...

I put the painting back under the bed where it was before, hoping it would be a safe hiding space for it.
"He's glad you chose to spend time with him" Donna interrupts my thoughts.
"Oh..." I say under my breath, not knowing what to say to this information. Is this true? Was he really happy? Donna isn't the type to lie, she never does...

"You should slowly get yourself together for the event, we have an estimated time of ten minutes left. These are important people, and I am sure a lot of them are anticipating the opportunity to court you. May I ask you to be more open to the guests, princess? I know that you are less sociative, and I do not want to force you. I just wanted to give you a tip. I'll walk you down to the ballroom, if you wish." She offers, holding up her arm. I take a deep breath as I place my arm on top of hers and nod as a sign that I am ready, and with slow steps, we make our way down.

I stop before the door leading to the stairs of the ballroom.
"I wish you the best of luck, lady Y/N." Donna smiles warmly at me as she puts her hand down and walks away. I watch as she walks further from me, and turn my gaze back to the door in front of me. I could already hear the sound of the guests, knowing that the room was filled with people, people that I have never met before, and will likely have to talk to. I wanted to run away, knowing that once I enter the ballroom, there would be no turning back. This event was much bigger than the ones I was used to, the pressure on me equally rising with it. I never had anybody to talk to during these events, I always felt alone since my sisters, unlike me, went up to strangers, while I was awkwardly standing there.

As I was lost in thought, even considering the option to run away to the other side of the castle, I feel somebody's presence behind me.
"Afraid to go inside, ma chére?"