chapter ten

I was woken up by Donna gently shaking my shoulders, repeating the same words over and over.
"Princess, get up!" She says in an attempt to wake me up.
"I... I am awake, Donna. Is there something?" I question sleepily, my eyes barely open as I try to adjust to the morning sun.
"You need to get dressed as soon as possible, the Vinsmokes are about to leave! You need to say goodbye to them! Your sisters are already there!" She explains. My eyes are shot open as I hear this, realising that I need to say a proper goodbye to Sanji before he leaves.

--
I sigh as I walk down the corridors, where Reiju and my father have been waiting for the past minutes, my brothers still trying to wake up. I arrive at the main hall, and notice the presence of Y/N's sisters. And sadly my sister and father too. But where was Y/N? Isn't she supposed to be here with her sisters? Will she even come down to say goodbye? Did I say something bad to her last night? Did something happen to her?

Even my brothers arrived, along with Y/N's father, who was having a small conversation with mine. I noticed how the two girls wouldn't take their eyes off my brothers, but would frown at the sight of me. Did Y/N think the same way?
--

I quickly throw my blanket off myself and rush to my wardrobe to get a dress.
"I think I forgot to mention that your mother wants to have a word with you after the guests are gone." Donna adds while I put the casual dress on. I grab a corset as I scurry out my room, Donna trying to catch up to me. I run trough the corridors while I tie my corset. Just as I finish, I arrive at the main hall, the others already being here. I straighten my back as I stand next to Daniela.

I let out a deep breath as I notice that I was not late, my mother not being here yet. I look trough the leaving Vinsmokes, until my eyes stop when I get to a certain blonde. A small smile creeps onto my face as I send a barely noticable wave towards him. He notices it and warmly smiles in response. Just then, my mother arrives, grabbing the attention of everyone in the room.

After a long speech from my mother, we walk outside to the entrance door, watching as the Vinsmokes get into the carriage.
"Goodbye, prince Sanji!" I call out to him just when he is about to step into the carriage. He turns back and gives a little wave as he says the words "Goodbye, princess Y/N!" before getting in.

--
"Goodbye, princess Y/N!" I reply to her. I did not want to leave her here. Deep down, I felt sad, the memories of these past days flowing back. My father always ensured that I don't feel valued, so did my brothers, I was getting so used to it at this point that I almost forgot what it felt like to be loved. She, however, reminded me of this feeling, something I have not felt since the passing of my mother. I ended up being really fond of her at the end, and I felt geniuely happy with her. And she will likely not even know it...
--

We watched as the carriage left until it was out of our view. My sisters and father went back inside, and just as I was about to do the same, my mother stopped me.
"Not you, Y/N." She says in a menacing tone. "We need to talk. Follow me."

She enters the dining room, and sits down at one side, and motions for me to sit on the other. At first, there was an awkward silence between us, until my mother broke it with clearing her throat.
"I see you warmed up quite a bit to the Vinsmokes" she starts. I stay silent, waiting for her to continue, despite already knowing very well where this is going. It's about the wedding, isn't it? I knew it. "You are likely familiar with the things that come with being a princess. Me and your father have been receiving threats lately, and decided to join forces with House Vinsmoke in an attempt to scare these scums away. And the only option for that is to marry. It is tradition that the oldest children marry each other, which means that you, the eldest child in our family, will be soon getting married to Ichiji Vinsmoke, the eldest child in the Vinsmoke family."

There it was. She said it. I fully expected to hear this, but actually hearing my mother say it out loud hurt more than I thought it would. There must be another way...
"Mother, I must protest. I feel like it is time to break these traditions, since my sisters would gladly marry Ichiji Vinsmoke, while I do not wish to do that." I look my mother in the eye, waiting for a reply.
"And why do you refuse to marry him?" She stares at me with her usual cold gaze being even colder. I could sense that she did not like that I talked back.
"I do not love him, mother. I wish to spend my life with someone who cares about me and respects me, and Ichiji Vinsmoke is not this person. I am convinced one of my sisters would accept the marriage. He is nothing but a jerk." I try to keep my composure, hoping that she will send one of my sisters instead of me. It's not that I hated my sisters, I love them dearly. I was not planning on sending them there alone, if one of them goes, I would visit them every week. But I would not like to spend my whole life there, every day till I die with my asshole husband. But if my sister wishes for this life, then I will let her have it, and this was the chance.

"You think I married your father because I loved him?! I did not escape a forced marriage, and neither will you! It has been settled! I made a deal with Vinsmoke Judge already, the wedding will take place in three months! And this is final!" She slaps her hand on the table as she raises her voice, anger lacing her voice. "Your only luck is that you will get time to get used to the Vinsmokes! A carriage will take you to their castle tomorrow, and you will spend the remaining three months there. I advise you pack your things now, and enjoy your last day here. Me, your father and your sisters will not visit you. Feel honoured that I even gave you these months and did not tell you about it a day before the wedding." She shouts as she furiously gets up from the chair and closes the door behind her with a big thud.

I felt as if I have been stabbed trough my heart, holding back tears. Were these tears of sadness? Anger? Frustration? I had no idea, but it was definitely not joy. I knew this was coming, why did it hurt so much then? I totally expected it, still, when mother announced it, deep down I felt somewhat shocked. Why can't one of my sisters get married instead? I'm sure Cassandra would kill to be in my place right now. Am I really going to spend my life locked inside a castle with monsters? Will they experiment on me too? And what about Donna, my greenhouse, my horse, my sisters? Will I need to leave everything I love behind?

I quickly get up from the chair and run trough the corridors, tears threathening to fall as I shut the door of my room as soon as I enter. I could just hope that nobody opened it. My legs shake as I lean on the door with my back, slowly ending up in a sitting position with my arms hugging my knees closer as I taste the salty flavour of tears at the sides of my lips, the quiet sobbing turning into something louder. I knew it was coming, and I still react to it like this...