Chapter 13- Misery Loves Company

(Title taken from 'Love/Hate' by Matt Van)

-------------------------------------------------------

Meghan's POV (5 hours later)

<Meghan> Has anybody offered you gifts, yet?

<Gem> No :(

<Meghan> I think this means war. Especially with Shelby, perhaps, but like, I don't know. What do you think?

I giggle to myself as I continue to sheer my sheep for wool. "I crack myself up, sometimes" I mutter.

<Gem> Hm. Shelby is kinda sus. With everybody not really being able to sleep at night because of nightmares. I'm starting to think Shelby has something to do with it. And the psychic in my village thinks that something is to do with it, so...

I grin. Okay, Gem is sus of Shelby. Good to know.

<Meghan> Yeah, especially at night, she seems sus, from what i've heard from others. She shot me in the back and took me down to 5 hearts. I had full diamond on too! I don't know, she's changed.

I continue to giggle to myself. I don't know about others, but spreading rumours is pretty fun. Maybe that's just me. Lauren seems... kind of on board. Mika, she's kind of going back and forth, especially with herself, so I don't know who's side she's on. Be that me or Shelby.

<Gem> That's not good. I'll leave her an iron friend.

<Meghan> As a warning?

"What does that mean?" I mutter.

<Gem> Yeah

<Meghan> Can they kill on sight? Oh man. Yeah, yeah!

This is good. Maybe, if we can kill Shelby, but not directly, she'll be nice again! I do miss nice Shelby. "Gem is cool. I can't butter up Gem too much though, otherwise she'll think, or know, I'm a liar" I say while picking up all of the wool I sheered, bringing it into my house and storing it into a chest.

<Gem> Shelby is in the greenhouse, yeah?

<Meghan> Yeah!

I continue to chuckle to myself. I wonder though, will Gem actually do that? Gem never seemed like the type of person to join in on conflicts, but eh, you never know.

Some people aren't always the way they seem. Like how Shelby seems to be nice during the day, but mean at night. I don't know. Am I pushing things? She didn't mean to accidently shoot at me... did she? She said she didn't but... hm.

Oh well, can't go back now!

3rd POV (1 day later)

Shelby peers outside her window at the sound of movement in and around her trees. She spots the tail of a certain raccoon girl behind a tree. "Lizzie?" she mutters. She sees Lizzie place down a box, and then head off through the trees.

She gets curious, but then remembers it's daytime, and she doesn't exactly want to go outside right now anyway. She's been cooped up in her greenhouse for 2 days, scared to go outside, even at night time.

Although... she supposed that maybe she could go out, just for a minute, to see what this box is.

So, she nervously gets to her feet and goes to her front door, bracing herself for the bright sun, and immediately, she goes blind as the door opens. She squeaks and throws her arms in front of her face while walking around to the back of the greenhouse, where Lizzie had left the box.