Chapter Tweleve

☼☼☼

You make your way into my veins

Course right through my limbs and dig your way into my brain

So in the second that you walk, walk into a room

I can't help myself from that thing that you do

☼☼☼

Jaime's P.O.V.

June 8th 1997

"No fair! You're cheating!"

"Harry, for the hundredth time, you can't cheat at tic tac toe. I'm just that good."

He leaned over the table bringing face close to mine. "What else are you good at?"

I inched my face closer, secretly ripping one of the straws in my apron so there was only paper on half. I leaned in closer, and when he thought I was about to kiss him, I brought the straw to my lips, blew, and the paper flew right into his face.

I erupted in laughter. "That."

I tried to settle down the butterflies in my stomach at the thought that he was going to kiss. He leaned his head in. Was he going to kiss me? Would I have let him?

No. No, I didn't want that. What kind of mixed signals would I be sending if I kissed him after repeatedly telling him that's not what I wanted? Still though, the memory of kissing him on the dock blew through my mind like September wind.

It was early Sunday morning before Lon's even opened, and Harry "happened" to be driving by when he saw my car and decided to knock. Jess was also here doing some early morning prep work so I decided it wouldn't be world ending if I got to hang out with Harry and not have to stress about customers. I even taught him how to roll silverware and he cut my work in half. Well maybe not half, but some help is better than none. That's how we ended up playing all the games on the front of the kids menu since Harry was used to drawing on the back.

"So what time should I pick you up tomorrow?" He looked slyly up from the coloring mat, like he had tricked me.

I pulled my knee up to my chest, sitting sideways in the booth so my long leg could stick all the way out. "Nice try. You know I am working tomorrow night."

"Yes, but you work every night. And I am busy tonight, and if you work tomorrow night then we wouldn't be hanging out for two whole days, and I think that is simply too long."

I took a rolled up straw wrapper and threw it at his face. He turned his head slightly so he could hit it with his nose. "I didn't realize you were so clingy."

He shrugged. "I'll update my warning label next time I ask a pretty girl to spend an entire season with me."

A weird sensation burned in my stomach. He was joking, Kidding. He didn't make a habit of traveling to small towns and asking pretty girls to hang out with them. Wait, he still thinks I'm pretty? I guess that is one victory.

But I don't want him to find me pretty. Right? I mean, I wouldn't want him to think I was ugly. But I don't want him thinking that he's attracted to me. What did he say again?

I fiddled with one of the crayons on the table. "I told you. I like spending time with you, but I already took off work the other day when we went to the arcade. I can't keep taking off."