Chapter 7

I let out a laugh, trying to lighten the mood. "Very funny, Maria. What's the rest of the story?" I see Maria shake her head, her expression grave. "No, Loveday told me everything. That's the entire reason I went to the castle. I gave them the key that should have opened the box that had the pearls, but they were gone." She proceeds to explain how she met Loveday in the woods and how she spoke to Robin's father, recounting everything that I had missed while engrossed in conversation with Robin. Overwhelmed by the turn of events, I shake my head and find a spot next to Maria, laying down beside her. "When did the world become like this?" I whisper wearily before falling to sleep.

Suddenly, I am jolted awake by Maria's voice demanding, "How could you leave me like that in the forest?" I sit up, rubbing my eyes, and to my surprise, there stands a woman in the middle of Maria's room, holding up a dress. "This belonged to the first-ever Moon Princess. Forgive me?" I sit up straighter, a mix of confusion and disbelief clouding my expression. "Maria! There is a woman in the middle of your room," I exclaim. Maria smiles and calmly responds, "This is Loveday," gesturing towards the woman who then walks into the bathroom. I nod, trying to process the situation. "Loveday... Okay," I mutter, extending my hand towards her. She shakes it and pulls something out of her bag. "This is for you," she says, presenting a green dress that appears to be my size.

"It belonged to the original Guardian," Loveday explains. I hold the dress out in front of me, a sense of awe washing over me. A genuine smile forms on my lips I glance at Loveday "Who was your Guardian?" Loveday's face falls. "I never knew who they were. Maybe that is why I failed." Maria walks out of the bathroom wearing a stunning red dress. "It fits you like a glove!" Loveday exclaims, clapping her hands in approval, changing the subject. She then turns to me and says, "Your turn." I retreat into the bathroom and change into the dress, gazing at my reflection in the mirror. I can't help but feel a surge of excitement and confidence as I admire the intricate details of the dress. Stepping out of the bathroom, I am met with smiles from both Loveday and Maria. Loveday begins to work on Maria's hair, while I make myself comfortable on the bed.

"Oh, Loveday, this is all hopeless," I sigh, feeling a sense of defeat wash over me. "I'm as far away from actually finding the pearls as ever. They're hidden." I sit up, scanning the room as if searching for answers. "They have to be here somewhere," I mutter, my gaze wandering around Maria's room. Both Maria and Loveday look at me, curiosity and anticipation in their eyes. "The pearls weren't with the De Noirs, so where else could they be? The Moon Princess was a De Noir, but the Guardian was a Merryweather. They could be here," I explain, my voice filled with newfound determination. Maria and Loveday both nod in agreement, and Maria takes my hand, leading us towards the door. "Come on. Come with me," she says with conviction. Loveday hesitates at the doorway, uncertainty crossing her features. "Where? Downstairs? Oh, no, no. I'm not going downstairs," she protests.

...

With Loveday, Maria, and myself gathered together, we descend the grand staircase, each step echoing beneath our feet. Loveday's discomfort is evident, but she pushes through, compelled to join us on this journey. As we traverse through the house, our footsteps reverberate against the walls, the atmosphere thick with anticipation.

Then, a glimmer catches Loveday's eye, drawing her attention to a room bathed in the soft glow of sunlight. It is the piano room. Curiosity piqued, she steps inside, her fingers instinctively reaching for the ivory keys. As her fingertips make contact, a delicate melody begins to emanate from the instrument, filling the room with its enchanting resonance.

The room transforms around us it goes from the disheveled look that the rest of the house shares to being a beautifully illuminated room adorned with an abundance of exquisite flowers, the atmosphere exudes an air of enchantment and anticipation. Soft, golden light bathes the surroundings, casting a warm glow that accentuates the room's beauty and adds to the sense of romance.