CHAPTER 1 - THE PERFECT BAHU

Delhi

Diwali is a day for brightness and a hope. And it obviously calls for a celebration. The small lanes of Delhi is glowing with the artificial decorative lights all over the shops and the diyas in the house. Happiness and positivity are evoked by seeing the overall setup of the lane. The lane looks bright in the evening time.

Saxena house is also decorated with flowers, diyas, lights and the smiles of Saxena family.

Sushila is busy in the kitchen cooking the favorite sweet of Dhruv. Her sister-in-law Lalita comes inside the kitchen.

Lalita – "Arrey Sushila... it's smelling good. Let me taste it."

Sushila – "No jiji... not now. Wait until it got cooked properly and served by me. No ifs and buts."

Lalita – "Huh... You're impossible, Sushila. But I cannot wait for long to taste it. If you make me waiting for long, I'd steal the vessel and run away."

Sushila laughed – "Even Dhruv says the same. He'd like this sweet since his childhood."

Sushila suddenly noticed what she said and the smile disappears. Lalita felt embarrassed and she patted Sushila's shoulders.

Lalita – "It's okay, Sushila. Don't keep hurting yourself upon this."

Sushila – "No jiji. I don't really care about anyone who brought some random woman to my house and claiming her as his wife."

Lalita – "Sushila..."

Sushila – "Not now, jiji."

Lalita kept her hands on her shoulders and nodded consolably to Sushila.

After sometime, Sushila called everyone for dinner. Dhruv silently appears from his room with a soft smile in blue kurta. Behind him, his wife Tara too appears shyly in a traditional saree, covering her hair with the saree – giving a perfect vibe of a conventional daughter-in-law.

Dhruv and Tara sit in the dining table where Dhruv is sitting next to Sushila and Tara is next to Dhruv. Sushila stands from her table and goes to the opposite side and sits with Lalita and Sanjay.

Tara stands up and starts serving for the family. She served for Dhruv, Lalita and Sanjay. When she is about to serve Sushila, Sushila gets the ladle from her in angst and serves herself disappointing Dhruv and Tara.

Dhruv signed Tara to sit with him. Tara goes and Dhruv served food in her plate. Tara starts eating the food.

Sushila murmurs, "My dining table and kitchen is getting impure who doesn't even respect traditions."

Lalita joins with her, "Let it be, jiji. Wonder what sin we did in the past."

Tara suddenly remembers that she forgot to thank the god before eating the food which is the ritual in Saxena family. Tara looks at Dhruv apologetically. Dhruv says, "It's okay."

Dhruv, Tara, Sushila, Lalita and Sanjay folded their hands and prayed to god.

Then they started eating the food.

After completion of their dinner, Tara goes to the kitchen to wash the vessels. Lalita comes there.

Lalita – "No need to do that, madam. We people are not very old that we couldn't wash the vessels."

Tara – "No chachi. I'd lookafter this."

Lalita – "I'm telling you, right? If Sushila watch this, she won't like these things."

Tara moves from the sink.

Tara – "Okay chachi. Shall I heat the milk for maaji? Please let me do this."

Lalita makes faces and turns back. Tara switch on the stove and heats the milk. She pours down the milk into the glass.

Tara takes the milk and knocks Sushila's door. After getting a yes, Tara pulled the door and enters inside with a smile.

Tara – "Maa, this is for you."

Sushila – "Keep it over the table and leave from here."

Tara feels gloomy and keeps the milk on the table.

Tara – "Good night, Maaji."

Sushila gets irritated, "Only when you leave this house, that night will be good for me. Honestly."

Tara – "What are you saying, maa?"

Sushila – "Why don't you just get it in the first time itself?"

"Finally, you said what you want, maa" says Dhruv who enters her room.

Sushila turns her face.

Dhruv – "I won't let Tara be in a place where she doesn't get any respect. She'd leave your house along with me."

Tara – "Dhruv, have you lost your mind?"

Dhruv – "Just come with me, Tara."

Dhruv drags Tara to his room. Dhruv takes his clothes from the closet and packs it in the luggage.

Tara – "Dhruv, whatever we are doing is not right."

Dhruv – "Yes, we are not doing right. That's why I want to make things right. Pack your things now."

Tara – "Dhruv, you're taking decisions out of haste. They are our parents and we should not leave them just like that."

Dhruv – "Then what about you and me? Did you forget that you're a physiotherapist? You left your job and started wearing these heavy sarees just to please my mom. This is not right. And in return, they are just taking you for granted."

Tara – "Dhruv, they are elderly people and we angered them and disappointed them. We cannot expect them to treat nicely this soon."

Dhruv – This soon... Seriously? It's been one and half years and my family is just holding their ego in their head. And don't forget whatever you've done for them. You're constantly making efforts to be the best daughter-in-law of the family and in fact you're the best too. But they are just treating you like some non-existing person. Didn't you hear what mom told you now?"

Tara – "So? Getting out of the house is the solution?"

Dhruv – "No. But I promised you to provide a respectable life. That's my priority. And yes, we did mistake by marrying each other against our family. But it was because our family was fixing our alliance with someone else despite knowing our affair. And we wanted not to ruin any third person's life. But now, we couldn't live just by satisfying people."

Tara sheds tears.

Dhruv wiped it.

Dhruv – "Are you ready to be Dr. Tara?"

Tara – "But..."

Dhruv – "But you're already Dr. Tara?"

Tara laughs.

Dhruv cupped Tara's face with his hands.

Dhruv – "I love you, Tara. I won't let my love cut your wings."

Tara – "I love you, Dhruv."

Dhruv – "So, pack your things."

Tara – "Are we not doing mistakes?"

Dhruv – "Not at all."

***

Dhruv and Tara come out of the house with their luggage.

Dhruv shouts, "I'm going out of the house with my wife. You can live your life peacefully with your pride."

None of them shows up.

Dhruv – "I expected it."

Tears down poured from Dhruv's eyes.

Tara wiped his tears and hugged him.

Tara – "It will be fine, Dhruv."

Dhruv kissed her forehead.

Dhruv and Tara leave the house and Sushila laments over Dhruv's departure hiding behind the pillars. Lalita and Sanjay felt bad for it.

Precap: Dhruv and Tara comes to Ooty. They recieved a call from a wealthy man who claims to provide job for Tara.