the age of falling in love

"did you hear that, hidetoshi-kun?" yuki pops up from behind me resting both her hands onto my shoulders, i sigh and shake my head, closing the green coloured book in front of me.

"what is it?" i ask back only for her shining eyes to meet mine as it clearly reflected her excitedness on the matter.

"there's a new student in our school!" she now comes in front of me and grabs someone's chair to rest her chin onto her palms.

"now? school started two weeks ago" i say, also surprised by the late comer's presence.

"well— i don't know much about that. but guess what, i heard he's really handsome" she giggles to herself as i open my book again, picking up the pencil.

And i thought she liked me, well, it'd be in my favour if my presumption turned out wrong. —or if she has a change of heart.

"but it's a pity i still don't know his name" she pouts and sips on her chocolate milk as I'm about to go back to studying–

"um... i heard it's nishimura riki" a sudden voice from my right makes me almost jump in my seat as yuki chokes on her beverage.

"nobita-kun?! you scared me!" she says in her chimey voice as i slowly nod to myself with a 'she's absolutely right' expression.

"ah, I'm sorry" he apologetically smiles as i give him a side glance & then look back at my notes, trying to not let myself get distracted.

"but how do you know?"

"i heard it when i was standing in the collidor in the morning"

"oh! that's great, thank you for this information~"

"don't you look a bit too happy?" i cross my brows and give her a disappointed look.

"you'll never get it, hidetoshi-kun. do you even know this is the perfect age to fall in love? let me enjoy my days of youth~" she sighs dreamily and stares at the ceiling.

"perfect age to fall in love, my foot. it's the age you should be setting in the foundation for your life" i mumble to myself.

"ayy, don't say that. you don't even believe in it"

"how would you know that?"

"because I'm your friend, hehe" she gets up all merry and exits the class.

"do you, though?" another sudden interruption, i look to my right again.

"what?"

"the thing about age you said earlier" nobita-kun says, looking directly in my eyes.

"i don't have an opinion yet, but looking at the world it seems to be correct" i shrug as he his eyes don't reflect much.

yeah, maybe I could've tried to console him by saying no you can do whatever you want at anytime you want, or something like marks don't matter. but I'm no one to tell him that.

what if a single sentence i said without experience actually plays a role in ruining his life? I won't be able to take responsibility then. maybe me saying high school is important might not have any effects but me saying it doesn't might have many, and i don't think i should get involved with someone else like that.

suddenly the whole class starts whispering like crazy, students come in and take their seat as if the dean is on a round to check upon us. but the gossiping doesn't seem to be that—

"it's crazy, that handsome guy is in our class" yuki squeals taking her seat behind me as if it's some shooting star gazing event.

i look up to see the teacher entering the class as he gives the usual speech about a new student joining and hoping us to co-operate with him.

"please come in" he says as the door slides open like some entry in a kdrama.

there comes in a guy with pink hairs that are messy from every single angle, covering most of his forehead and a bit of his eyes, exactly the way these girls like. his shirt's two uppermost buttons were open, revealing another black tee inside as even the shirt wasn't fully tucked in.

his pants weren't crumpled but it was clear they had dust on them from some back alley, or the school's backyard. a thread band kind of thing on his wrist that was delicately made my someone by tying two pieces together, one blue and other yellow.

he smiles the most diplomatic smile I've ever seen a person give in real life, bowing full ninety degrees as the class claps for no good reason.

"nice to meet you, name's nishimura riki, but you guys can call me niki. i hate books and love music, let's do our best to not get into fights" he gives a last smile leaving a strong impression as the class roars with whistles and claps.

"that was quite a unique introduction, wasn't it?" the teacher humbly says almost attacked by those last words.

"adorable face with dagger words, amazing" i hear yuki mumble to herself.

she was right, he looked like the ones who do anything to prevent a fight. might even get bullied, by his face.

but his appearance contrasted that finely crafted face as it complimented his personality. he was a total gangster, that was a given.

"take a seat wherever you like" as if, the only seat that was empty in the whole classroom was beside yuki. what a novel like situation, isn't it?

she never let anyone sit there bevause she needed a separate seat for her bag, i wonder what she'll do now? i turn back—

yuki grabs her back in a lightning second and almost hits my head in the process of taking it back as i watch her make sure the seat is clean.

so much for a potential asshole, huh?

"hey, thanks for that" he says almost slaming his bag onto the desk as he sits with his legs wide open. i turn back, not wanting to indulge with him in any way.

"oh my, no biggie. my name's yuki" i know by heart she offered her hand for a handshake.

"well, sorry for that. i don't shake hands with people, we can do arm wrestling if you want to, though?"

woah, he's a perfect match for her.

"that's quite interesting, but you'll have to wait until lunch"

"hahaha, sure. hey, yellow shirt, if you don't mind could you shift a bit to your left?" he says to nobita-kun as he does so without saying a single thing.

so he's a bully too?

i look back to see he's already laying his head onto his bag and planning to sleep. of course, who cares about the first impression. i bet this guy doesn't even care about passing his classes.

"any problems, mr. Looking at me with judging eyes since forever?" he asks as he flutters open his eyes making me surprised.

"no" i turn back as i hear him giggle to himself.

I sigh, i don't think it's going to be a peaceful year of high school. Just when i finally thought I'd adjusted to yuki's personality, this guy shows up. I hope there's no more nuisance for me...