Chapter 31

"In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act."

—George Orwell

JENNIE

"Go to bed, love."

Lisa's voice startled me. I jolted upright and drew my gun on her before she could come any closer.

She looked down at it, then at me. "Seriously?"

"Sorry," I muttered. And as I pinched the bridge of my nose, I placed the gun down beside my mouse pad. I stretched, and all my bones cracked as if I had aged overnight.

Pulling a chair beside my desk, she sat beside me. "It's 3:00 a.m., love, you need your rest, you can finish this later."

"I want to finish it now," I told her as I shifted in my seat again.

Glancing at Lisa, I noticed that she was watching me intensely.

"What?"

She shook her head and kept on staring. "I've just been thinking a lot lately."

"About our plan? Because it's—"

"No. About you," she stated as she leaned forward. Her face was serious and she looked like she was trying to read to me.

"Okay..." I wasn't sure where this was going. She usually gave me more to go on, but she seemed to be thinking it through as well.

"And how my father wanted me to marry you," she added. "I keep thinking about how much I fought him on it. How much I didn't want be with you. And yet, fast forward a few years and here I am, unable to imagine a world where you're not in it. Knowing you was the best gift he ever gave me."

I wasn't sure what to say to her, I wasn't good with words. Instead, I took her hands and kissed her knuckles.

"I'll get us some coffee since you won't come to bed." She smiled as she rose from her chair.

I didn't want her to think that I didn't care. Standing up, I followed behind her and wrapped my arms around her back as she entered the dark kitchen. As I kissed her spine, she tilted her head back.

"I love you," I whispered.

Breaking out of my hands, she turned around and lifted me up.

"I know you do," she muttered as she kissed my lips softly.

It would have been amazing had my bloody stomach not growled loudly.

She smiled into our kiss.

"Well, that's not sexy," I muttered.

"No, it's cute. Come on," she replied as she lowered me back onto my tip-toes and led me further into the kitchen.

She pulled out a frying pan and grabbed a few eggs out of the fridge.

"What are you doing?" I watched her as I leaned against the sink.

"Seeing that you're the worst cook on the planet, I thought I'd make us a grilled egg and cheese," she said matter-of-factly, as she grabbed the bread from the pantry.

"I can cook a grilled egg and cheese, Lisa." I crossed my arms glared at her back and she looked to me, amused.

"Really?"

I didn't like the surprise in her eyes. Stomping from the sink to the stove, I took the eggs and tried to crack them over the skillet. Sadly, the first one broke in my hand.

"Don't you dare!" I snapped as she held back a snicker and handed me a paper towel. I cleaned off my hands.

"Try again," she replied handing me another egg.