Chapter 6

We eventually arrive at the Mouri family's home, and Ran guides me to her room, placing down a mattress for me to sleep on during the night. When she leaves, I sit down on a chair and patiently wait for her to bring pillows and blankets, looking around the room out of boredom.

My eyes catch a picture frame on her desk with an image of her and Shinichi gleefully smiling together. They look so perfect for each other. I smile bitterly, picking it up and bringing it closer so I can inspect it much better.

It strikes me that the details look so natural, despite how unrealistic the human proportions are.

I sigh and set the frame aside.

Just how much anime did I watch for that to look realistic?

As I lean back on the chair, I drift off to my thoughts, wondering how it is in the real world. Am I considered missing? Would a news reporter let the world know about my existence? Have my parents noticed my disappearance? Why am I even here?

I glance back at the photo, leaning on the desk with dull eyes. If only I was the one in the picture.

Soon, my eyes flutter shut, and the world darkens. My body relaxes, and my breath is steady.

"Idiot.."

My eyes snap open, and I sit up to find Shinichi, the teenager, staring at me with his arms crossed. I gasp, and my eyes widen.

"You- you're - what happened?" I quickly ask, confused, "how are you suddenly-"

"Suddenly, what?" He snaps, pouting(?).

All I do is stare and frown: "What's going on? How are you -"

"It's you - that's what's going on!" He interrupts. A faint blush dusts his cheeks. "You said you liked me.."

I bolt up and stare at him, shocked: "What?!"

He looks away and frowns a little, mumbling: "If you liked me, why are you trying to hang out with Saguru?"

????????

Author's note: his name is Hakuba Saguru, a high school detective who appears in Magic Kaito.

I groan. "Okay, give me a second, firstly, how are you back as a teen-"

And then I blink, and suddenly the room is empty, just how it was before meeting the teenage version of Shinichi. I notice how firm my grasp is on the picture frame, meekly placing it back at its spot. A glance around the area to check for a teenage Shinichi is all I need to realise I've daydreamed about him again. How embarrassing.

My eyes trail towards a mirror, and I see my reflection; a furiously blushing tomato. A blushing child.

That's when I realised that's the first time I've seen my reflection. That's not me at all.

I immediately stand up and clutch the mirror nervously, pulling it closer to my face to inspect it. My eyes, nose, lips, cheeks… everything.. Everything is different. This isn't my face. This is a stranger's child's face.

I let out a light chuckle, astounded by the discovery, slightly in denial. I didn't just teleport to another dimension; I switched souls with someone else entirely.

A slight creek from a door makes me flinch, stumbling around to place the mirror back where it belongs and whip my head around to see who has entered the room. Ran

"Onee-chan!" I fake a smile. "Did you get the pillows and blankets?"

"Yeah, but a slight problem.." she smiles back awkwardly, walking in and sliding slightly to the right to show Conan behind her. "We only have one extra mattress available, so you guys will have to sleep next to each other… If you don't mind."

Conan looks like he's questioning reality.

"Uh… sure," I shrug with an equally awkward smile.

She mumbles to herself. "They're only children, so it should be fine.."

Conan and I both give her a look with a red blush covering our faces. What the heck.

Then, a knock on the entrance door can be heard. Ran quickly shouts that she'll get it, rushing downstairs.

Conan and I stare at each other awkwardly and then to the mattress, both silently agreeing to just not think about the matter.

I glance at him and back at the floor. He looks cute..

"Do you…" He mutters. "Do you really have amnesia? Or did you act like you couldn't remember anything because.. Well.. transforming into a child.. because of the drug, I mean."

I blankly stare at him and fiddle with my fingers, preparing myself to lie: "Yeah.. I actually have amnesia. I only remember the moment, right before we get knocked out, and onwards."

Conan looks at me pitfully. "Not even your identity?"

"Only my name.."

It's silent as he processed my words. My eyes flicker between him, the floor, and the suddenly very attractive wall. He opens his mouth, and then he shuts them.

"What are you hesitating for?" I mumble.

"... Your, apparently, parents had come to the station before we even took APTX4869 to report a case of a missing child - report your current identity. Ran and the others think that you are that missing child."

My eyes widened: "What.?"

Before we can continue the conversation, Ran enters the room hurriedly and informs us that there is a new case involving a celebrity. Conan insists that he comes along, lying that he's curious about what a celebrity's home looks like. I can guess that the case they are talking about involves Yoko Okino. The suicide case.

Yep, I'm not going there. As a normal human who has never seen any crime scene before, I will have trauma from seeing a gruesome crime and have nightmares for weeks.

My body says otherwise, hesitantly clutching the hem of Conan's sleeve, mumbling: "I don't want to be alone.. Can I come with you?"

Maybe it's pity that draws him to gently grab my hand and smile at me reassuringly, saying, "Let's go together. We'll only be looking around anyway."

I know for sure this isn't a simple case of a stalker and that tonight, we will see a body. But I smile, blushing slightly from his warming touch, ignoring the bitter taste in my mouth when I say, "I'd love to."

I'm an idiot.

---------

Please leave gentle criticism :,)