Chapter 7: the gods one worships

Elena's Pov

i sit in my office as i look over at some paperwork and i smile as i look at the small card that Alex made me. this morning his teacher from kindergarten had told me that for his first project he had decided to make me a card.

the card consists of his sloppy writing with a black marker with the word 'mom' in the middle and with some stickers on the inside with the words 'i love you' and a big red heart made with crayon and glitter on the middle.

i smile as i put my hand on my mouth and i chuckle. 'i love that boy'

my thoughts are suddenly interrupted when i hear a knock on my door.

"come in!"

"lady Elena" you have a visitor a worker says as he bows and lets Ana Blake inside.

i stand up as i put down the card in front of me and i look at her with a troubled expression. 'shes a wolf as well'

she walks towards me slowly and i motion her to sit in one of the chairs in front of my desk. she looks surprised for a moment and then she smiles weakly as she slowly sits.

i sit down as well and notice that she is staring at the card. i clear my throat as i say "my son made that for me for his first project."

she smiles and looks at me sadly as she swallows "i'm sorry about yesterday but i wanted to talk to you about the reason as to why i said those things."

i stare at her waiting for her response and i cant help but have a bad feeling in the pit of my stomach. "that boy isn't normal he can't stay with you." she says as she looks at me with sadness in her eyes. "i know that this will sound crazy but the moment you realize what he is you will be disgusted and you will most likely throw him at the hands of some scientist. im trying to prevent that from happening." she says looking at me straight in the eyes. "i want you to give me the custody of this child."

i stare at her trying to process what she just said and i sigh as i look at the card that Alex made me. "i don't understand why cant i be his mother?" i ask softly "am i that bad at taking care of a child?"

"you dont understand, he comes from a world where he cant mix with people like you." she says with teary eyes.

"says who!" i yell at her impatiently.

"our god! our religion! the one person that we believe that made us made it clear that we mustn't mix!" she screams as she grips the handle of the chair.

i get up from my chair and laugh "please! there are almost 5,000 gods being worshiped all over the world! but don't worry, only yours is right!" i pass a hand through my hair as i look at her flinch. a moment of silence passes until i sit back down and she begins to cry. "i know what you are." i look at her as she looks at me shocked.

"what do you mean?" she asks slowly fixing her posture.

"you turn into one of those big wolves don't you?" i ask observing her features and i come to realize that this woman is around her late forties yet she looks so young and beautiful. her blond hair looks almost gold and her green eyes manage to captivate the weakest of human souls. "Alex told me that you smell like them."

she now has her mouth open and once the words i have told her have processed through her mind she closes her eyes. "since when?"