Breaks

I was walking around the table in the women's room inspecting the tables full of fabric with Marlee, Lucy, and Eadlyn. I was planning a party for mine and Maxon's eighteenth anniversary party. This would be Eadlyn's first time being hands on with the planning. If she thought that what she had done was hard then who knows what she will think about this.

"What colors are you leaning towards America?" Marlee asked as we rounded the table. "Anything specific that you don't, see?"

"Oh, I don't know Marlee, Maxon and I didn't have time to talk this morning."

"And when do you think you two will have time to talk?" Lucy playfully asked. "Between the constant meeting with the advisors, reading and signing all those documents, and helping Aspen and Brice show Sir Coddly the ropes you'll never have time."

"Well ladies I guess I will have to talk to Maxon." I teased and continued to look through fabric choices and found my way to the golds. "Marlee," I called to get her attention. "I think this gold." I was pointing at a royal gold that would match Maxon's medals and our crowns perfectly. Plus, it would go with the tablecloths I had ordered last night.

Lucy looked at Eadlyn, "What do you think young lady."

"I think that you made a wonderful choice Mom," Eadlyn said. "But personally, I think that Dad would like silver better." I was a little stunned by her suggestion. Maxon always loved gold and hated it when I asked about silver.

"Sweetheart, your father doesn't like to use silver," I gently urged. After eighteen years of marriage, he never even told me why.

"Let's just go ask Dad," she said clearly wanting Maxon's approval. "Alright, Marlee, Lucy we will be right back." I motioned for Eadlyn to follow me out of the room.

We walked the whole way to Maxon's office with little talking. I was wondering what type of meeting Maxon was having and how agitated he was with his advisors during this meeting. Considering that ever since Maxon had added Coddly to his board of advisors there had been many arguments between the advisors and Coddly. Maxon blew up at Coddly for the first time yesterday. He had yet to tell me about what happened.

When we reached the office, I looked at the guard who offered a bow.

"Now might not be the best time to go in, Your Majesty." Jameson, the guard whispered to Eadlyn and me so the passing maids could not hear.

I knew the answer without even asking the question. "Who is he mad at?"

"Sir Coddly." He said quietly as Eadlyn nodded her head.

"Well maybe I can calm him down a bit."

"I think we all know you can calm him down, Your Majesty. Genral Leger loves to recount all the times he has seen you calm down the king."

"One of my better qualities Jameson." I teased with a little pat on the shoulder as I walked to the door.

I knocked on the door but before it was opened the yell of my husband made it through the door and I knew something that Coddly had said sent him over the edge. When David, the education adviser opened, I saw Maxon's cold determined eyes ready to yell at whoever was interrupting his meeting softened as he stared at me. I quietly looked up at my husband, "Can I come in."

"Yes," he responded quickly.

I started in the room with Eadlyn close behind. As we passed Aspen, he grabbed my arm and pulled me over. "Do us all a favor while you are in here and calm him down. He has been on edge for nearly an hour Mer." Aspen whispered, and I nodded my head back in return.