Chapter 42

~ ~ ~

I'm told what happened in Corona was quite interesting. So here we go.

~ ~ ~

I was pacing my office when someone knocked on the door. At the sound, I jumped a bit and nearly lost my glasses to the wooden floor.

I eased open the door. "Your majesty, I...what brings you here?" I tried to smile, though if I'm telling the truth, I had been looking towards the mainland. And thinking about my family.

Queen Arianna smiled. "Taylor. I hope I'm not asking too much of you. You know about Varian, I presume?"

I pause. "Yeah. Yeah, I know about Varian. Is...is he okay?"

"If I'm being honest, I'm not sure. I was hoping you could go down and check on him. Perhaps give him the help King Fredrick promised the princess he'd get. I've tried going down there myself, but they won't let me anywhere near him."

Now, of course I wanted to help Varian. I was concerned for his safety and such, surely. But the fact remained that he attacked the kingdom and possibly did my father in. Not on purpose, I was sure of that. However...that didn't mean I couldn't have thought about it.

"I..." I hesitate. "O-of course I can. I...can check on him tomorrow, if you'd like."

"That would be wonderful. Thank you so much. I don't know how-"

"It-it's nothing, your majesty."

To say the truth, though, it was everything.

. . .

I'll admit, I took it slow at first, not looking too far ahead. I wasn't exactly sure what I'd find but I knew I wasn't ready for it. And the worst part is that I had already told myself I would.

I held myself as I passed cell after cell, steps slowing as I neared the last. At that moment, I know I wanted my family. Mom. Dad. ...Nick. I wanted to know I could run to them for comfort, like I could when I was five. But no, they were all gone...all gone. No, no, I reminded myself. Not gone, just to a place I couldn't quite reach at the moment.

I stopped. I had prolonged this as much as I could. I had to do this.

"U-uh hello?" I winced as my voice echoed down the hall, no matter how quietly I had spoke. The guards standing on either side of his cell didn't make it any better.

No response.

"Hello?"

Now I was worried. the queen had said something had been off but...

I had squinted into the darkness and just noticed a huddled figure in the corner.

"What do you want?..."

I sucked in a breath. That was his voice alright.

"W-well, Queen Arianna wanted me to...wanted me to just-"

"Just...Just leave me alone..." He seemed vulnerable, scared.

"I...uh...I...I don't think I can."