Separate Ways

Here it is. I hope you guys enjoy this part as much as the rest of my Bad Guys series. I'll miss them, but at least this is the rightful place for their story to conclude.

“Well, one good thing is that no one got severely hurt," Webs said in her phone as she saw some people being interviewed by news reporters. “But it'll cost a lot of money to rebuild this part of Manhattan."

“Does this mean you'll be home soon?" Brenda asked on the other line. “I really miss you."

“I miss you too, Cream Cheese," Webs replied sweetly.

“So this Minerva lady formed a mass cult, then went all Jurassic World and made this giant monster to help her take over the world?"

“Hard to believe, I know," Snake replied to Quentin via payphone. “But don't worry, son. We took her down pretty good. I just wish I had brought my new camera along. I would've taken pictures for you and the kids."

Wolf looked around and saw how happy his lifelong friends were in that moment. Moving forward with their lives, while Diane was most likely thinking about calling it quits with him all because he was afraid of leaving behind his.

He knew what he had to do.

“Hey, guys, can we talk for a second?" Wolf asked his friends. “Not you, Gabi. The rest of you."

“Sure, Wolfie," said Shark. “What's the matter?"

“Maybe we should talk somewhere with less reporters," Wolf suggested. “Y'know, where no one can hear us."

“Gabs, you mind keeping Brenda occupied for me?" Webs asked, tossing her phone to Gabi.

“Not at all," Gabi replied. “Hey, Brenda! How are things back home?"

“Good. Hope you come back soon so we can see Monique's first show."

Once Wolf was certain that they were alone, he told the rest of the Bad Guys...

“You're leaving?" Webs asked in disbelief.

“I'm not the same wolf I was when we formed the Bad Guys," Wolf admitted. “I was just too afraid to admit it sooner. I used to want you guys to go where I go. But right now, I want to go where Diane goes, and I can't drag you guys with me."

“Especially me," Snake admitted. “I love you guys. I really do, but my son and grandkids need me right now, and they need me alive. Which is why I'm leaving, too."

“I don't have much choice, either," Shark realized. “Now, that I'm part of Monique's theater troupe, I'm gonna have to travel across the country for about a year. And if enough people like us after that, we may get more job opportunities. And we all know I'm a terrible multitasker."

“So, I guess it's just you and me?" Webs asked Piranha, a little apprehensive.

Piranha looked away dejectedly and said, “Actually... I'm done, too. I need to stay closer to home to make sure Gabi's doin' alright. Besides, we got a house in Encino to move into."

“You okay, Webs?" Snake asked with concern.

“I'm fine," she muttered. “It's just... I can't believe the gang's over."

“The Bad Guys are over, but we'll always be best friends no matter where we are," Wolf assured her. “Plus, the world still needs its own heroes. And you, well... You'll make a better leader than I ever was... Ms. Tarantula."

Webs gasped in shock and began to tear up as her friends quietly saluted her. Wolf offered a paw to her, and she climbed onto it so he could pull her in for a hug. The others swiftly joined in.

“This is just too much for me," Shark sobbed.

“Dude, you're making me cry," Piranha sniffled.

“Alright, guys," Wolf said, pulling himself away. “Let's get back to California."

🪶🪶🪶🪶🪶🪶🪶🪶🪶🪶🪶🪶

During the drive back home, Webs realized things had gotten way to quiet. This was their last job together. It couldn't end on a sad note.

“Webs... hit it," she said to herself, and played a cheerful tune on her iPod. The rest of the group suddenly felt a little warmer just listening to it.

Once they made it back to their hideout in Los Angeles, Wolf, Snake, Webs, and Shark packed up their things and prepared for their new lives apart from one another.

“So, how's the hunt going?" Shark asked Webs as he stuffed his suitcase.

“Pretty good," she answered. “I have four very promising leads, though Brenda may just be a case of nepotism, I admit."

“Well, Scarlet is a smart young woman," Wolf admitted. “She'd be perfect for your new... What's your crew gonna be called again?"

“The League of Heroes," Webs confirmed. “Zyon thought of it. It's not exactly original, but catchy as hell. Also, did you know they can fly?"

“No, I didn't," said Snake. “And that Buck guy is pretty tough. And he's not crazy like Piranha."

“Sounds like you got your crew," Wolf said to Webs. “And we've all got our things packed."

“Well, I guess this is it," Shark muttered.

“Good thing Diane took Wolfie back, right?" Webs chuckled, the others heartily joining in.

Wolf smiled at his friends. “Well, gang... Good luck out there."

“You, too, Wolf," Snake replied as all four of them headed down the elevator for the last time.

Ten years later...

“And that's it," Piranha said to his many children, though little Sofia was the only one still up. “We all set off to live our own lives. Shark found his calling, Snake is helping with raising his grandkids, Wolf is still happily living with Diane, Webs is out there, saving the world with her crew, and your mother and I moved into this house."

“And you guys stay in touch?" asked Sofia, letting out a tiny yawn.

“We do," Piranha answered. “We may not live in the same place anymore, but we're still best friends. That'll never change."

“I wanna be a hero someday..." she sighed, resting her head on a fluffy pillow. “Like you and Mami."

“You're already a hero, nena, by just being in my life," Piranha assured her as she fell asleep. He sweetly kissed her forehead before leaving her and her siblings to rest. Piranha made it back to his room, where he saw his amazing wife sound asleep as well, that light inside burning brighter than ever.

Fin