chapter fifteen

in the winter, in the icy outdoor pool, when you jumped in first, i went in too, i'm with you even if it makes me blue — taylor swift

Bailey Cameron

I tiptoed down the stairs to the front door. Checking the time on my phone, I assured myself that I'd have enough time for a run and breakfast.

I shut the door softly behind me before tying my hair into the best ponytail I could get. Now, why was I going on a run at six in the morning? I really didn't know myself, but one moment I was getting nostalgia back from high school, where'd I'd go on a run every morning before school to stay in shape during the off-season for track, and the next thing I knew, I was pulling my running shoes on.

It had been a while since I'd run like this, but I was pleased to discover I wasn't as completely out of shape as I thought I was. As I hurried down the front steps, the autumn chill was like a smack in the face. I knew it'd get better once I started running, but I couldn't feel my nose. Or my fingertips, for that matter.

And then there was my ankle. I had wrapped it tightly, and it was feeling way better this morning than it had been all week, so I figured it would be fine for a short run.

I connected my AirPods to my phone as I walked down the steps. So far my ankle was fine. Even once I picked up to a light jog down the driveway, it felt great, actually.

Waiting Room by Phoebe Bridgers blasted through my ears as I glanced around. Yes, my guilty pleasure was absolutely playing depressing music during things that should not be depressing. But I just loved doing it for some reason.

While I jogged, I focused on breathing in through my nose, out through my mouth, and keeping a steady pace. My ankle throbbed ever so slightly, but it was easy for me to push to the back of my mind. I could also see my breath each time I exhaled, which made me smile a bit.

Running always made me feel weirdly calm and in control of things. During my short runs, it had always been easy for me to let my mind drift away from all the problems and stress I was having, and to relax. And to just live, I guess. It was like my little escape from reality, even if said escape only lasted fifteen or twenty minutes. It was enough to make me feel better.

I kept my run short and easy, especially as my ankle starting screaming at me to pay attention to it. By the time I was jogging back up the driveway, it was only about six thirty, which gave me enough time to shower and make breakfast. I sighed happily as I entered the warm house again, already beginning to feel my fingertips.

Once I had changed into a warm pair of sweatpants and a hoodie that I had stolen from my dad a few years ago, I made some coffee and started on breakfast. While I had began to cut up some fruit, I heard a pair of footsteps come down the stairs. Looking up, I saw Marta. "Good morning," I said as I scooped the fruit I had just cut up into a bowl.

"Do you want some help? The boys are still passed out from last night, and I feel like I haven't done anything the entire time we've been here," She said as she sat down at the counter.

I chuckled, "That was the whole point." But she just shook her head at me.

"Yeah, I know, but it's weird. And Isaac has been so great to the boys and I, so I just feel like I need to do something for him now," She explained with a small smile. I gasped having a sudden thought. No. No way that was happening, I thought, waving it off when Marta gave me a funny look.

"Nevermind. Just—Just ignore that," I rushed out. "If you really want, you can finish cutting this stuff up while I make the eggs and pancake mix. I have to make more than I planned for."