Chapter 2 | Duties

"It's not my fault, Hiccup!" As I poured out my frustration to Hiccup, he dipped my newly sliced hand into a bucket of water, trying to soothe the pain caused by Susie the sword that seemed to have a habit of tripping me up. Gobber's carelessness with leaving it in my path had become a recurring accident, earning me my fourth scar from Susie. "Maybe if you guys didn't leave the place a mess, I wouldn't trip so much," I sighed, feeling exasperated.

Hiccup defended himself, "Wha- Hey, that's not my job."

"No, it's mine, just like everything else around here," I huffed, tearing off a piece of material from my old apron that hung above my desk and tying it around my injured hand before starting to clean up.

Suddenly, the door burst open, and the unmistakable voice of my best friend, Astrid, called out my name. "Oak! It's getting crazy out there, we need you on fire patrol," she announced urgently.

"I'm on it!" I assured, quickly finishing the last of the armory plans and tossing my apron aside. I grabbed a large bucket that sat beside my desk and raced out towards the well. Fire patrol was yet another responsibility that fell on my shoulders, but I knew the importance of keeping our village safe.

Several hours passed, and the raid was still at its peak. No matter how much we tried, the fires just kept spreading. My heart sank as I realized I would have to re-design a lot of buildings to repair the damage. It seemed like another sleepless night awaited me.

I had just finished attempting to put out another house with my seemingly tiny bucket of water when I heard my father's booming voice behind me. "OAKLEY!" he bellowed, and I turned to see him trying to capture a young Nadder, not older than two years old, with a net.

"Hold down the other side!" he ordered, but I found myself frozen in place, torn between my desire to please my father and my deep love and empathy for the dragons.

"OAKLEY!" he yelled again, struggling to control the net by himself. I couldn't move. Spitelout suddenly appeared, leaping on the other end of the net just in time to assist my father. I stood helplessly, watching as the poor young Nadder yelped out in fear, unable to comprehend why these humans were attacking it.

My father managed to tackle the young dragon to the ground, and the Nadder's terrified cries pierced my heart. Stoick then tossed the Nadder into a cage, and I felt a surge of anger and sadness within me.

I spun into the comforting arms of the blonde woman standing beside me, Lotus, Astrid's mother. She cradled my head gently, understanding the conflict that waged within me. "Put it with the others!" my father demanded before turning to me. I stood at attention, unsure of what to say or do.

"This has gone too far," he scowled. "If you can't do as you're told, you'll stay in the forge. Now, get your brother and go home, Hopeless."

The weight of his words bore down on me, and I felt a mix of frustration and sadness. I hated when he called me 'Hopeless.' It felt like a cruel reminder of how my father perceived me, even when I tried my best to prove myself.

I nodded quietly, my emotions churning within me. I headed to the forge to pick up my brother, knowing that I had to face my father's disappointment, but also determined to find a way to protect the dragons that I held so dear in my heart.

***