Chapter 16 | Embracing the Past

Sitting around the flickering fire in the heart of the cave, the warmth brought comfort to my soul. Hiccup and Astrid watched me intently, curiosity etched on their faces. It was evident that they wanted to know where I had been for the past seven years.

"Oakley," Hiccup began, "we've been worried sick about you. We searched everywhere, but we couldn't find any trace of you."

Astrid nodded in agreement, her eyes filled with concern. "We never gave up hope, though," she added. "We knew you were out there somewhere."

Taking a deep breath, I mustered the strength to share my journey with them, my eyes glistening with unshed tears. "After I escaped from Berk, I spent weeks just flying around and checking out new islands. But I was captured by Dagur."

Their expressions turned to shock and anger, and Hiccup clenched his fists. "Dagur," he spat, "I should have known he had something to do with it."

"I'm so sorry," Astrid said, reaching out to hold my hand. "No one should have to endure that."

"I escaped from his ship," I continued, my voice steady, "but they shot Aqua down, and we barely made it to the nearest island."

Their expressions softened as they listened intently, knowing there was much more to my story.

"She didn't make it," I said, my voice faltering. "And I was devastated. But then, I met Stargazer, my Stormcutter. He sensed something was wrong and brought me to this island, to keep me safe."

Hiccup and Astrid exchanged surprised glances, clearly amazed by my bond with the dragons and the new life I had forged.

"I've been living here ever since, rescuing dragons whenever I could," I said, a mixture of pride and sadness in my voice. "I made this island my own, and together with the dragons, we've found a place where we can coexist in peace."

Astrid leaned in, her eyes full of compassion. "Oakley, we've all grown and changed during these years. Berk has changed too," she said gently.

Hiccup nodded, offering his support. "Everyone on Berk has dragons now," he explained. "They're our friends and allies. Things are different."

The weight of their words hit me like a tidal wave. The realization that my efforts to convince our father about the innocence of dragons had been vindicated on Berk left me feeling a mix of relief and frustration.

"So, you're telling me that after everything I went through, after running away and getting captured by Dagur, and now you're all living with them?" I said, my voice tinged with bitterness.

Astrid placed a comforting hand on my shoulder. "Oakley, we never forgot what you stood for," she said softly. "But things changed after you left. Hiccup's actions and the bonds he formed with dragons helped change our village's perception."

Hiccup nodded, adding, "Berk now embraces dragons as equals. Your fight wasn't in vain, Oakley. It helped me to change everything."

The emotions swirling inside me were overwhelming. I had spent years trying to prove dragons were more than just beasts to be feared, and now I learned that my efforts had indeed made a difference, but nobody saw that. Hiccup was the hero.

I whispered, tears finally spilling over. "Why couldn't our father have believed me. Why did it take you to make him change?"

Hiccup wrapped his arms around me, pulling me close in a reassuring embrace. "You did what you had to do," he said gently. "And we're here now. Berk has changed, and we're all together again."

Astrid joined the hug, and I felt a sense of belonging that I had missed for so long. The pain of my past began to fade, replaced by the warmth of their friendship and acceptance.

"It's okay, Oak. You can come home now." Hiccup assured me.

With a deep breath, I looked into their eyes, my heart feeling lighter than it had in years. "Home? Hiccup, this is my home now," I said firmly. "I'm not going back to Berk. I've found my place here."

"But-" I knew Hiccup would try to persuade me to go with them. But I had a whole new life here. And I couldn't abandon all of those dragons I had saved and relocated here. But suddenly a small familiar voice sounded behind me, tinged with fear.

"Mama?"

***