Chapter 10 | A warrior's Resolve

Remember to leave comments x

***

"MOVE TO THE LOWER DEFENCES!" Stoick bellowed, his authoritative voice resonating through the village as the chaos of the dragon raid escalated. Astrid and I swiftly navigated through the turmoil, determined to follow the chief's orders.

"Chief?!" Astrid called out, her unwavering loyalty evident in her voice. "What do you need us to do?"

"I need you to round up the Fire Patrol team," Stoick insisted, gesturing towards a few burning houses that required immediate attention.

"On it." Astrid's sense of duty propelled her into action, as she dashed off to gather the Fire Patrol team. Stoick then turned his attention to me, and despite my past challenges, he addressed me with respect this time.

"Get to the forge, Lass," he ordered, acknowledging my skills as a warrior and archer. I was relieved that he no longer referred to me as "Hopeless," a sign of progress. It seemed I had my job back, even though uncertainty lingered. I sighed with relief and obeyed his command, reuniting with my brother at the forge.

"Oh, thank Thor. This place was falling apart without you," Gobber exclaimed, relieved to have my assistance in the forge once again.

"Sorry, Uncle Gobber," I replied, grabbing my quiver of arrows and strapping my bow over my shoulder while securing a dagger in the slot of my boot. "You're gonna have to survive a little longer."

Hiccup expressed concern as I abruptly headed back towards the door. "Oak, what're you doing?!"

"Something stupid," I confessed, recognizing the risks involved. Yet, I couldn't stand idle when dragons needed help. I raced toward the chaos, seeking cover behind a piece of the now shattered armory. My father, Stoick, fought valiantly, managing to subdue a Gronkle by tossing a weighted net over it.

In a daring move, I approached the trapped Gronkle, attempting to gain its trust before cutting through the net with my hidden dagger, setting the dragon free. Despite the dangerous situation, I felt a sense of purpose in aiding these creatures. When Ms. Hofferson caught sight of my actions, I offered her a guilty shrug, but she responded with a sad smile, seemingly understanding my motives and not trying to hinder my efforts.

With determination, I freed three dragons in total as the raid gradually subsided. My heart swelled with pride at my small contribution to easing their plight. But one more dragon remained in captivity, a formidable Zippleback. My knowledge about them was limited, but I recalled their basic traits: two heads, one breathing gas, and the other igniting it. Their territorial nature heightened the challenge.

Approaching the dragon carefully, I managed to earn the trust of the spark-shooting head. However, the gas-breathing head was preoccupied with Hiccup, who fearlessly held his hand out to the creature.

"Are we freeing this thing, or what?" He smiled. Grateful for his presence, I swiftly sliced the net open, freeing the dragon. Pulling Hiccup out of sight, I embraced him in a tight hug, acknowledging our distant sibling relationship with newfound warmth.

As the raid concluded, I grasped Hiccup's hand and retreated to the forge, sketching blueprints for new defenses around the armory, determined to contribute further to the village's safety.

"HOPELESS!" The familiar voice rang out, causing me to race out of the den and turn to face the source.

***