Chapter 4 | Freedom

As I approached the Nadder's cage, my heart pounded not only with anticipation but also with a hint of fear. I knew that my father would not approve of me visiting the captured dragon, let alone freeing it. The thought of his reprimanding words sent shivers down my spine, but I couldn't ignore the pull in my heart to help the Nadder. Bracing myself for the consequences, I took a deep breath and unlatched the cage.

The young Nadder looked at me with a mix of surprise and gratitude as I opened the door. With a hesitant step, it cautiously emerged from its confined space, stretching its wings as if testing its newfound freedom. My heart swelled with a mixture of relief and trepidation.

As the Nadder let out a soft chirp, it was as if it understood my intentions. In a moment of mutual understanding, I silently gestured towards the open night sky. With a burst of energy, the Nadder took flight, its wings carrying it gracefully into the moonlit night.

I watched with awe and worry as it disappeared into the horizon, hoping it would find its way to safety. My heart remained heavy with uncertainty, but I knew deep down that I had done the right thing, even if it meant facing the consequences later.

Once the Nadder was safely gone, I turned away and made my way back through the woods. The decision I had made weighed heavily on me, but there was a glimmer of relief, knowing that I had helped a creature in need, regardless of the risks involved.

In need of a moment of respite, I sought refuge at the hidden waterfall in the woods. The sound of rushing water was soothing, a calming balm to my restless soul. Stripping off my clothes, I left them by the lagoon's edge, feeling the cool night air caress my skin.

Stepping under the cascading waterfall, I let out a sigh of relief. The water was invigorating, washing away the physical and emotional grime of the day. The night's moonlight filtered through the trees, casting a soft glow over the serene scene.

As the water embraced me, I felt a sense of liberation, as if the weight of the world had lifted from my shoulders. The gentle stream massaged my tired muscles, and the sound of water echoing in the woods provided a sense of tranquility.

In that moment, I allowed myself to be vulnerable, to feel the rawness of my emotions, and to find peace amidst the chaos. The night was my sanctuary, the only time I could take a shower in peace, both literally and metaphorically.

As I stood beneath the waterfall, I felt a renewed sense of purpose. The encounter with the Nadder had sparked a fire within me, a determination to stand up for what I believed was right, even in the face of adversity.

When I finally emerged from the water, I felt refreshed and invigorated. The cool night air enveloped me like a gentle embrace as I dressed in my dry clothes. I felt a sense of empowerment, knowing that my actions had made a difference, no matter how small.

As I made my way back to the village, I carried with me the memory of the Nadder's freedom and the liberation I had felt under the waterfall. Despite the uncertainty that awaited me, I knew that I would face whatever came my way with a newfound strength and resilience.

That night, as I lay in bed, my heart was still heavy with the weight of my actions, but also with a sense of fulfillment. For once, I had acted on my own terms, driven by compassion and a desire to protect. As I closed my eyes, I felt a newfound sense of courage, knowing that I had the strength to face whatever challenges lay ahead. In the sanctuary of my dreams, I held on to the memory of the Nadder flying free and the feeling of the refreshing waterfall, finding solace in the knowledge that sometimes, taking a stand was worth the risks it entailed.

***