Chapter 17 | Guardian of Dreams

The gentle glow of the fire illuminated the cozy cave, creating a warm and comforting atmosphere as I cradled the young girl in my arms.  Astrid and Hiccup sat beside me, their curiosity about the little girl evident in their expressions.

"Mama?" The young girl repeated, rubbing her sleepy eyes. I heard her sniffle, and instinctively, I spun to her. She had been crying. She glared at the strangers curiously, clearly unsure of the new faces around her. She had never interacted with anyone but me and the dragons before, so I understood her skepticism. I held my arms out to her, and she shuffled closer.

"It's okay, sweetie," I assured her, wrapping my arms around her tiny frame and pulling her close. "I'm right here." She nestled into my embrace, seeking comfort and reassurance. I gently rocked her back and forth, hoping to ease her distress.

"So, care to explain...?" Hiccup asked, gesturing towards the young girl in my arms.

"I promise, I'll explain. Just give me a minute," I said, smiling softly at the small girl as I settled her in my arms. She peeked up at me with wide eyes, and I couldn't help but smile back.

"I'm confused again," Hiccup stated, still curious about the little girl.

"I promise I'll explain everything," I assured them, wanting to share my story with my dear friends. "I just want to get her back to sleep first."

As she traced circles over my heart, her touch soothing and reassuring, I began to recount her arrival in my life. "About a year after I moved here, she washed up on the beach, in a small rowing boat," I explained as the young girl had fallen back into a peaceful slumber, her breaths soft and steady against my chest. "She was all alone, and I don't know, it just felt like I was meant to keep her around."

The flickering firelight danced in their eyes as they listened intently to my story. I continued, "She started calling me Mama all on her own. I don't know how she even learned the word, but I didn't have the heart to tell her the truth... So, here we are."

"That's actually kinda sweet," Hiccup smiled, the corners of his lips turning up with genuine warmth.

"And very Oakley..." Astrid added, her affectionate gaze shifting between me and her. "She's so cute." I nodded, my heart swelling with love for the little girl in my arms. "What's her name?"

"Probably something dragon related." My brother teased playfully. There was the Hiccup I remembered.

"Actually... Her name is Hope," I announced proudly, yet still with a hint of nerves.

Hiccup and Astrid both smiled at me, their understanding and support comforting. Little Hope stirred slightly in my arms, her small hand reaching up to wrap around my neck, as if she could sense our affectionate conversation.

"She's lucky to have you," Astrid said softly, placing a hand on my shoulder.

"And we're lucky to have you back," Hiccup added, his smile warm and reassuring.

I gazed at them, feeling overwhelmed by the emotions swirling within me. For so long, I had felt isolated and alone, but now, surrounded by the people I cared about and with Hope by my side, I knew I had found my family once again.

"We missed you, Oakley," Astrid said, her voice filled with sincerity.

"I missed you too," I replied, feeling tears welling up in my eyes. "More than you know."

As the fire crackled, illuminating the cave and casting dancing shadows on the walls, I felt a profound sense of gratitude and contentment. The journey that had led me to this moment had been challenging and filled with hardship, but it had also brought me to a place of acceptance, love, and a newfound appreciation for the bonds that held us together.

Together, we sat in that cozy cave, sharing stories and laughter, the warmth of the fire embracing us as we found solace in each other's presence. And as I looked down at little Hope, cradled safely in my arms, I knew that she was the living embodiment of the hope that had guided me through the darkest moments of my life. With my newfound family and my unwavering determination, I was ready to face whatever the future held, knowing that love, courage, and the bonds of friendship would light our way through the shadows.

"Okay, I'll come back with you..." I stated. "But only to visit. Then we're coming home."

"We'll take it."