Chapter 7

The Turtles headed on up the tunnel and into their living quarters. This was their home since they had moved here and a lot nicer than an apartment. Splinter raised them like their own children and since it was big, it had enough space to host a group of people in it. Lots of furniture, plenty of water, electricity, and heat. Of course, this sewer plant used to be abandoned years ago but now, it has been remodeled into a modern home. It was weird, but they became a family, a small family of mutants. In their past years, Splinter would gather food for his kids and now as teens, they had to go on night raids to get food and other objects that might be useful. As they entered inside their lair, everything seemed very dark.

"Dad...?" Leo said. There was no response.

The lights snapped on. "SURPRISE!"

The turtles screamed, almost jumping to their feet, weapons gripped in their hands and when they looked around, they saw that their father had set up a little party, complete with several pizza boxes. There were even colorful balloons tied to the table. Whatever is happening, or going on here, Splinter could've scared them or worse. Catching his breath, Leo gasped, clutching his chest, "Dad, you really can't keep scaring us like that!"

After calming down a bit from their startled state, Donnie gestured toward the table with the pizzas as pink lights twinkled in their home like stars in the sky. "What is all this?"

"Welcome home!" Splinter said in a friendly voice.

"Why are there balloons in here?" Leo asked with concern.

Donnie lowered his eyebrows suspiciously, but he was concerned that something was wrong. "Dad, what are you doing?"

Splinter came in clean. "Look, I'm not stupid. I know something's up."

"You do?" Raph asked, looking worried.

"I do," Splinter said, nodding. "You're done with the sewers. You want to be in the human world. I went through your stuff and I found your human clothes." He held up the clothing they'd planned to wear to high school someday.

Nervous, the brothers pretended they'd never seen the outfits before. "What? That's not ours. How did those even get in with our stuff?"

Splinter held up his paws. "Boys, boys," he said, calming them down. "It's okay. I think I have found a way to make you happy. I have brought the human world to you!" He pulled aside a red curtain, revealing three cardboard cutouts of famous movie stars that he'd swiped from the theaters. "Look! Human friends!" He moved one of the cutouts to make it look as though it were talking. "Hello! I'm a human! Say hi to Chris! I'm Chris Pine! Look at my eyebrows. I'm the best Chris." He slipped on a jacket and a towel on his arm. "Amazing, right? And watch. I'm a waiter. The full human restaurant experience. Sit down! Let me take your order. It could be anything. But it has to be pizza." With a sweep of his arm, he gestured to them to follow him to the table.

The turtles looked at the table covered with pizzas and decorated with balloons and the cutouts. They looked at each other, not sure what they had to say. This party is very boring since they never liked being down here. They really don't want to keep the Hamato sisters and April waiting out in the sewers, especially Superfly. Time is almost running out.

"Uh, look, dad," Leo said, trying to be honest. "We appreciate it, but we still have more errands to run."

"Don't worry!" Splinter assured them. "You can run them later. Sit." He hurried over to the table and pulled out a chair.

"Yeah, but they're just really important errands," Raph said, nodding his head.

"Oh, you know, they're urgent," Leo agreed.

"Yeah, just really, really, really important."

Splinter stopped his waiter act and looked at his sons with a serious tone, clearly knowing something was wrong. "What is going on?" he asked, sternly. "What are you doing up there? Don't lie. Tell me. Are you in trouble? Is something wrong? Is someone trying to milk you?"

Disgusted, the turtles shook their heads with regret and disgust. "No! Why would somebody do that?!"

They felt grossed out by the milking thing again. Once more, they told him that no one is milking them.

"Do you need help?" Splinter asked. "Anything you need. I'm here."

The brothers looked at each other again, more concerned. What could they say? They don't want to lie to their dad, but they knew he'd put a stop to their hunt for Superfly if they told him about the heist. And they could not tell their dad that they fell in love with the Hamato girls and befriended them. And then they could kiss acceptance, love and high school popularity, goodbye. And worse, they would have to say goodbye to the human girls they are in love with, since their father told them not to talk with humans.

"No, we're just running errands," Leo said, lying. "Shopping, getting the stuff we need to live down here."

"Really?" Splinter asked, looking him in the eye. "That's it?"

"Yeah," Leo said, meeting his gaze. "That is quite literally it."

"Nothing else," Raph confirmed.

"Thanks for the surprise party."

The turtles said their goodbyes and headed out. Splinter watched them go.

"What is taking them so long?" Tomoka wondered aloud impatiently, leaning her head against the wall.

Manako had sat on the ground with a clear dry spot and curled her hair with her finger. "It's only been ten minutes," she said.

"It doesn't matter," Shira replied, sternly. She clenched her first, refusing to believe that the brothers don't take too long. And how will she explain it to her mom after they get back home late at night? "I really don't want to get in trouble with Mom and explain it to her but..." She paused when she heard the turtles come out of their living quarters. She turned her head to the turtles as Reika, her arms folded to her chest, lifted her head up.

"Everything okay?" Shira asked, looking over.

The brothers kept walking past them, still thinking about how they'd just deceived their father at the very moment when he was trying to reach out to them.

"Boys," Tomoka asked, frowning. "Are you okay?"

"Yeah," Leo said, his voice low.

"It's fine," Donnie added, softly.

"You don't look fine," Manako said, frowning. "Please tell us." She waited for an answer.

"Dad is trying to cheer us up," Leo explained. "But instead, he brought cutouts of humans and other stuff."

Shira frowned. "Oh, dear. Maybe he is just being overprotective. You must have been living down here all alone and sad without any fun things to do."

They paused and looked at each other. "Are we still sure we're doing the right thing?" Mikey asked.

Leo sighed. "Dad'll come around. And if he doesn't after tonight, it won't matter." He turned to Shira. "Shira, girls, things will be okay. Once we stop Superfly, we will be able to live with you together."

Shira began to hug Leo as she rested her head against his chest. "Thank you, Leo. You truly are a good friend."

They headed down the tunnel, still feeling uneasy about their decision. April and the others hurried after them, knowing something was up.