Chapter 10

Superfly leaned back against a wall, remembering the day he was born. "My earliest memory in the world is my dad telling me that he never was accepted, never was loved by anyone else. He just wanted a family, man. That's why he created us."

Leonardo and Shirahara listened closely, amazed that this fly man, so strong and fierce looking, could speak so tenderly of his early days with his late father he described. The words had touched them and they could imagine how he and the other mutants came to be. They began to imagine how the fly mutant came to be when Stockman took care of him before he was killed. The other mutant sisters and brothers were caught up in Superfly's story, too. The rest had heard the story so many times before but were always happy to hear Superfly tell it again. For the Hamato sisters, they were amazed that they heard the turtle's origin, now they were listening to the other mutant's story. He recalled that Baxter made him so he could raise a family after his so-called 'friends' wanted to capture them as a weapon, an experiment, a killer. And how he hid himself so no one could ever find him.

"He had been friends with a young woman who had also been obsessed with animals, but not too long. She was pregnant with her first child and they didn't stay friends for too long," Superfly explained. "She disappeared that day when her husband left her in the hospital. But then, that's when the place he worked for sent the ops to take him out and took all of it away from him. I rescued my little baby brothers and sisters, and since I was the oldest, I had to raise them on my own. I ran away with my little siblings and took care of them. But we made the best of it. We found a place to live, a place where they throw away broken boats and ships by the water. There, we'd do things together. Just normal things."

"Like Party of Five!" Wingnut squeaked, cheerfully, remembering an old favorite drama show from that time. In the show, five siblings had to get by on their own after their parents died in a car accident. The oldest was in charge, kind of like Superfly, while the other younger siblings followed his lead.

"And he raised us so well," Bebop said, smiling at Superfly.

"He did," Rocksteady agreed. "I mean, look at us."

"He did a great job."

"I think we're very well adjusted, too," Sally said, flicking her long tail.

"A bunch of mates, eh?" Leatherhead growled gently. "Real tight. Really tight."

It sounded very familiar to the ninja turtles and the Hamato girls. Hiding from humans so they won't get killed, sneaking out at night to take what they needed like the night raids, only having each other, depending on each other for everything, caring about themselves, being a family. Shira began to ponder about this, too. It had been so sad since they lost everything that Dr. Stockman had worked for and they remembered that her own dad disappeared because of those bad people trying to capture the girls for something. For what? They began to understand that the mutants have no parents and no relatives to live with. They were all alone.

"How did you survive?" Manako asked, crawling forward. "How were you able to live?"

"Well," the horsefly pondered her question. "It wasn't easy. We all have been stealing food from stores or restaurants and finding some stuff that might be very useful."

Shira began to recall that one, too, just like what the turtles do, stealing food from stores and other lost stuff. And she thought that they were raiding at night, but they just wanted to survive. That is why they have been trying to steal everything in the city.

"But still, we deserve more, right?" Superfly continued. "Anyway, we thought these humans murdered our dad, but maybe... they're not all bad, you know?"

The turtles and girls nodded gently. They were certain that there were plenty of good humans, even if their father disagreed with them because they wanted to milk them. Superfly continued the story of how they began to head to the surface and tried to make a good impression to the humans. Once more, Shira began to imagine how Superfly and his team arrived at the surface.