35

Leah POV

The morning sun gently filtered through the curtains, and as I slowly opened my eyes, I was met with a throbbing headache. Memories of last night flooded back, and I felt a pang of regret for my behavior during the party. I turned to my side, hoping to find Emily beside me, but she wasn't there.

My heart sank. I knew that Emily was upset with me, and I couldn't blame her. I had been insensitive and let my pride get in the way of acknowledging my mistakes. My hungover mind struggled to think of the right words to apologize, but I knew that I needed to do it as soon as possible.

I slowly got out of bed, my head spinning with each step I took. As I entered the living room, I found Emily sitting on the sofa with a blanket over her indicating that she had slept there for most of the night

She held a guarded expression until her eyes met mine, and I could see the hurt in them.

"Hey," I said, my voice hoarse from last night's festivities. "I, uh, wanted to talk to you."

Emily nodded but didn't say anything, prompting me to continue.

"I want to apologize for last night," I began, choosing my words carefully. "I know I was out of line and shouldn't have snapped at you. It was wrong of me to dismiss your concern, and I'm truly sorry."

Emily sighed, still keeping her emotions guarded. "It hurt, Leah. I just wanted to make sure you were okay, and I felt like you pushed me away."

"I know, and I regret that. I should have listened to you and not let my ego get in the way. You were just looking out for me, and I appreciate that," I admitted, my voice sincere.

"you embarrassed me infront of your friends and family, Leah" she sighed, a tear falling down her cheek

She looked at me for a moment, seemingly contemplating my pervious words. "I just don't want us to fight like that, especially on such a special night."

"You're right," I said, taking a step closer to her. "I don't want us to fight either. I love you, Emily, and I don't want anything to come between us."

Emily finally softened, and her expression softened as well. "I love you too, Leah, but we need to communicate better. I don't want to be in a relationship where we hold things back or lash out at each other."

"I don't want that either," I agreed. "I promise to be more open and understanding. We can talk about things, even if they're difficult."

She nodded, a glimmer of hope in her eyes. "Okay. Let's try to do better."

I reached out and took her hand in mine, feeling the warmth of her touch. "Let's promise to make this year about growing together, supporting each other, and being honest with one another."

A small smile formed on her lips. "I like the sound of that."

"I do too," I said, relieved to see her softening towards me. "And first things first, I'm going to make us some breakfast to help with these hangovers."

Emily chuckled, a genuine laugh that warmed my heart. "That sounds like a good plan."

As I started to prepare breakfast, I felt a sense of relief knowing that Emily was willing to give us another chance. Our love was strong, and as long as we communicated openly and honestly, we could work through any challenges that came our way.

The new year had begun with its share of ups and downs, but I was determined to make it a year of growth, love, and understanding, side by side with Emily. Together, we could overcome anything, and I was grateful for the opportunity to grow and learn together as a couple.