3 - The First Disturbance

Ramona's Flashback (1984)

In the vicinity of Pearlville, a town renowned for its natural beauty, lush valleys, and abundant plant life, the locals referred to the nearby mountains as Evergreen. It is within these mountains that the ThorburnTech Laboratory is located.

Mr. and Mrs. Thorburn were taking a break from their duties at the lab office. At the time, Mrs. Thorburn was eight months pregnant.

"It's crucial that we take a break from our experiments. Our baby is due soon, and I don't want her exposed to our work," Mrs. Thorburn informed her husband.

Mr. Thorburn caressed his wife's shoulder and suggested, "Let's live a normal life until our baby grows older."

After bidding farewell to their subordinates, the Thorburns trust their capable staff, confident that the laboratory will be in good hands.

One month later, Mrs. Thorburn gave birth to their daughter, whom they named Ramona Thorburn. The baby has poison gas emission syndrome.

"Mr. and Mrs. Thorburn, I have some bad news to tell you," the doctor began, perusing the medical records and noting potential complications concerning Ramona.

"I regret to inform you that while she has this syndrome, she must avoid excessive use of her superpower," the doctor advised the parents.

Filled with worry, Mrs. Thorburn asked, "Is her syndrome a threat to her health?"

The doctor explained, "Yes, if she releases an excessive amount of toxins, it can lead to life-threatening conditions and cause severe damage to her blood cells. The abnormality associated with her syndrome can be detected within her blood cells, as they possess a rare bio-toxin signature that intertwines with them. This means that excessive use of her abilities could transform regular human blood cells into harmful nano-tox cells, posing significant danger."

The doctor recommended, "I suggest you closely monitor her condition and ensure she adheres to the prescribed dosage to maintain control over her toxin levels."

"Your daughter will face health challenges throughout her life, although they won't be fatal. The poison within her body will subject her to illness, as it is often the case with superheroes and their syndromes. In Ramona's situation, harnessing her abilities risks harming her cells. It is crucial that she consistently takes her prescribed medication to mitigate the damage and maintain her well-being." The doctor expressed sympathy for the baby's condition.

Mrs. Thorburn struggled to conceal her anguish, feeling as though her daughter's syndrome was a burden.

A few weeks later.

After some time had passed, Mrs. Thorburn turned to her husband and expressed her concerns, saying, "What if I gave up my career as a scientist and became a full-time mother to Ramona?

"The laboratory needs you, but I understand; if only our close relatives weren't so unsupportive of our baby," Mr. Thorburn expressed his disappointment. Hearing what her husband said pains her; the families and relatives of her husband and her are estranged from them because they believed the child was an experiment and, if not, then the child was cursed.

"It feels like no one is there to help us when we need it." Mrs. Thorburn expressed her concern about their situation.

For the next two years, Mrs. Thorburn took care of their child while her husband resumed his work as a scientist once Ramona turned one.