Chapter 1

In a desolate underground chamber, the sound of water falling from the top of their cell tormented Matsudo and his sisters throughout the night, leading them to a haunting realization - their parents were dead. Iyomei and Khamenei, the 7-year-old twins, were overwhelmed by grief at the mere thought of their lifeless bodies. "Shhhhh," Matsudo whispered soothingly, enfolding his sisters in his arms.

"It's going to be okay, I'm here, and I promise I won't let them harm you as long as I live," he vowed, his heart heavy with sorrow as the clanking chains holding him captive echoed on the cold stone floor. Despite his brave façade, he struggled to hold back tears, remembering that his tenth birthday had not passed long ago.

"Matsu, you promise... you won't allow them to harm us," Iyomei implored, and Matsudo tenderly wiped away his sisters' tears. "You won't abandon us in this place," Khamenei whispered, resting her head on his chest, finding comfort in his embrace as she drifted into slumber. "I promise," he murmured softly, carefully carrying his sisters to their bed despite the restraints hindering his movements. Soon, both of his siblings succumbed to sleep, reassured by his protective presence.

Seated on her bed, Yumiko mumbled something under her breath while Matsudo carefully set down their belongings. "What was that?" Matsu whispered, sensing her agitation. "I said you're a liar, you idiot!" Yumiko snapped in a hushed voice, clearly upset. Matsudo's chains clinked on the floor as he shifted closer to her, sitting on the edge of the bed. "Well, what else was I supposed to do? Tell them I don't know if we'll be safe?" he grumbled, his hand gripping the edge of the bed in frustration.

"Can't you make an effort to be honest?" she pleaded, using the sleeve of her shirt to wipe away her tears. Matsudo held her close, tears streaming down his face as he spoke shakily, "I'm sorry, I did try... I tried to tell them the truth, but I couldn't find the strength to do it." Yumiko held him tightly in return, her tears flowing as well, and they clung to each other for a few more minutes, feeling the gentle droplets of liquid fall on Yumiko's back.

"W-Wait, Matsu, are your hands bleeding?" she asked, concern evident in her voice as she worried for her big brother's well-being. "Y-Yeah, my wrists have been bleeding from the jagged metal of these cuffs... but don't worry, I'll be okay," he reassured, gently pulling his hands away from the bed and his sister. He didn't want her to be troubled about him; after all, he was the one responsible for taking care of them, not the other way around.

Yumiko firmly grasped his arm and pulled him back towards her, insisting, "No, you're not fine. You're hurt and bleeding, and you might die!" She raised her voice as he attempted to break free. Despite his pain, Matsu distanced himself even further and settled back on the bed, the rattling of his chains intensifying. He turned to face her, gently cupping her left cheek with his palm, and whispered, "I'll be alright. Just go to sleep, and we'll deal with it in the morning."

He quietly rose from the bed and returned to his own, while Yumiko stretched her arm out, trying to reach for him. However, fatigue washed over her, and she eventually drifted off to sleep, lying down and succumbing to slumber. Meanwhile, Matsu settled in his bed, tears streaming silently down his cheeks, haunted by the vivid image of his parents' lifeless bodies that kept flashing through his mind. Gradually, he cried himself to sleep, the weight of sorrow heavy on his heart.

...

In the celestial realm, the gods gathered to discuss the fate of children facing a precarious situation. The two head gods raised their hands, silencing all others in the assembly. Ardentia, the goddess of Creation, approached the sacred pool, where a beloved mortal family had been grievously harmed by an unknown force. Beside her, Desolus, the god of Destruction, let out a sigh and gently touched his heavenly counterpart, who trembled with rage. He knew that if she kept watching, her anger might lead to the creation of another deadly creature.