Chapter 13. Guilt

Victoria

    "What happened? Vic?" I hear Thomas ask, making me turn my head towards the pilot's seat, him looking concentrated at the road on our way home. "And don't say 'nothing', I know there's something," he warns me before letting me answer.

    "I don't know," I look back outside the window, confused, while thinking of all the events that took place tonight. "My father's texted. He said he wants to see me," I say, my voice on the verge of breaking.

    "Do you want to see him?" Asks him, repeating the same question Damiano asked earlier on and I just fill my lungs with a deep breath before letting it out in a frustrated sigh.

    "No idea, I have to think sober," I joke chucking, making my friend laugh too. "Also," I start, hesitantly, "I spoke with Damiano."

    "Oh, really?" he reacts in disbelief, probably not expecting him to open up so soon.

    "Yeah, he told me about Giorgia. You were right, we actually have a lot in common," I finish, trying to find a way to tell him how our conversation ended.

    "Told you," he responds proud that he was right.

    "We kissed," I say all of the sudden, taking Thomas by surprise, making him almost skip a red light. "Thomas, stop! It's a red light!" I say alarmed, making him curb abruptly.

    "I'm sorry," he says, focusing on the car incident, still processing the information I just gave him. "What the fuck?!" He asks in surprise, turning his head towards me, once I think he realizes what happened, making me laugh in amusement.

    "We kissed, Thom," I repeat, reliving the most intense feelings I have had in such a long while, how my pains were frozen by those blissful moments. "Green light," I let him know, taking my friend out of the state of shock I sent him into, driving more calmly.

    "He's screwed if that one finds out," he tells me, referring to Damiano's girlfriend.

    "Why? Wouldn't that make her want to break up?" I'm already confused by their dynamic after seeing them tonight, how Damiano's behavior could've gone under such drastic changes, how his confidence slipped away from one moment to the other after letting her back into his life.

    "No, she'd find a way to make him feel bad and have him stay with her forever," Thomas says and I'm left shocked by how this woman's mind works, "I don't know, It's what Damiano told me that happened last time. She's weird as hell."

    "I see," sadness takes over my chest, my heart aching for him, knowing he's stuck in such a toxic environment, too worried about her to leave. "What can we do about it?" I ask, willing to take some action and help him.

    "He has to want to leave her, Vic," Thomas tells me, pulling up in front of his building, turning the engine off.

    We both get out of the car, entering the building to then reach the front door of my best friend's apartment. I get into the bathroom to take a quick shower, stripping out of my party attire, abandoning it on the ground. I let the water run over my body, as if it could wash away all my sins, all of my muscles relaxing under its touch. When I'm done, I get out and put on one of Thomas' old shirts and some sweatpants.

"You left, you asshole!" I suddenly hear Damiano's voice from the living room.

"You asked for it," Thomas laughs, making me giggle we well. Silence settles in for a little while, and when I get out of the bathroom, I find them both standing, a drunk Damiano looking at me, his saddened gaze speaking on his behalf.

"Where's your girlfriend?" I ask, not realizing how insensitive I may have sounded.

    "At my place, she's sleeping already," he starts and then turns his head towards Thomas, "can I crash here for the night?"

    "Of course," responds him quickly, gesturing for him to sit on the couch, "why, though? Is everything alright?" I see how Thomas quickly forgets how he felt about Damiano just a few moments ago, worry and genuine care taking over his senses.

    "I just don't wanna be home right now," Damiano says, a frustrated sigh escaping his lips after. He proceeds to take out a cigarette from whoever's pack was resting on the coffee table, to then light it so he can start exhaling the frustration out of his system.

Thomas leaves us both to then return with some white sheets, leaving them on the couch, "Here, I'll grab you a blanket too," he says and I see Damiano from my seat, a smile filled with gratitude all over his lips, yet something feels different, he hasn't looked at me since he arrived.

My chest feels tight with guilt, feeling at fault for the loving action we both shared previously, afraid that it'll change everything for us. He looks distressed, guilt eating him up too, knowing he has betrayed the woman he's supposed to be in love with.

"This is your night if you're still wanting to try," he turns to me, his old cocky smile spread all over his lips, his defense mechanism.

"What do you mean?" I ask in confusion, not understanding where he's trying to take this conversation.

"I mean you started something, you might as well go ahead and end it now that I'm here," his look is challenging, a deep gaze melting into my eyes, unable to take responsibility for what he's done, not just to his girlfriend, but also to me.

"In your dreams, Damiano," I say sternly, getting up and stopping halfway to my room, to turn around. "Don't you dare to blame this on me. I never meant for it to happen either." And with that I leave him behind, abandoning all the idealistic thoughts I had made up inside my head about him, anger and hurt shooting through my heart, shattering it, making every piece fall to the ground.

"It was all in your head," I tell myself once I'm in bed, not letting any of the tears that are threatening to run free down my cheeks out.