Chapter 17. Loneliness

Victoria

    Thomas' words stuck with me throughout the rest of the day, the possibility of a deeper reason behind his behavior looks much more appealing to my heart than to accept the defeat my soul just suffered. My chest aches, hallow as the emptiness spreads inside myself left by the moment he shut the door closed.

    This isn't a strange feeling, a reaction on my body triggered by my deepest fear coming true – abandonment. Him, my father, my sister and somehow even my mother. I remain curled up on the couch, as I'm invaded by countless intrusive thoughts, showing me my ability to push everyone around me away. I think of how everything in my life twisted after my mother's diagnosis, how circumstances have shattered the unbreakable bond sisters are supposed to have till the point of having mine ignore my calls.

    "Hey, Vic," I hear Thomas interrupt my thoughts as he's entering the living room, hovering over the couch from behind, towering over me. He's fully dressed, a black shirt paired with his favorite jeans and boots. "I'm supposed to meet Ethan in about half an hour, but I can cancel if you want me to," he says, the sweetest tone attached to his voice.

    "No, please don't," I start, trying to take off as much weight as I can from my emotional state, "I'll be fine, I don't think my father will come back anytime soon," he looks at me, his gaze filled with understanding.

"Okay," he tells me, "I'll head out then," he bends over and leaves a kiss on my cheek to then grab his jacket and head towards the door, leaving only thoughts of admiration behind himself. He's never been the one to fear loneliness, instead he found solace in it, his own self never tricking him into thinking that being alone is a bad thing. That's something I've always wanted to learn from him, to put my demons on mute and feel comfortable on my own, to be able to enjoy my own presence without my mind getting flooded with countless thoughts, breaking my peace.

    "I love you," I hear my best friend tell me right when he's about to close the front door behind himself.

    "I love you more," I respond, blowing him a kiss, my heart bursting with love for him, appreciating even the smallest love gesture he has for me.

    He leaves, and it doesn't take him long before he comes back, his head peeking through the slightly cracked door, "Are you sure you don't want to come?" He asks, making me chuckle in amusement.

    I stay silent thinking for a second, trying to figure out if today's the day I want to remain alone with my worst thoughts screaming at me, a downfall to all the events that took place this morning, or or play along with the curiosity Thomas sparked about Damiano earlier today, trying to lie to my heart, finding ways to reason him.

    "Actually, I'm not," I trail off shyly, "are you sure you don't mind me coming?"

    "Oh, c'mon don't be silly," he says smiling, "go get changed."

     I listen to him, quickly moving towards my room so I can put together a decent outfit, choosing to wear my usual leather pants paired with a black shirt and my coat. I don't bother to put any makeup on, trying to join Thomas as fast as I can.

    Before I know it, he's driving his car, excitement brimming from him, happy that he's been given the chance to cheer me up. He's singing along to his favorite rock songs, making me smile, comfort wrapping all around my heart, making me feel at home for the first time since I arrived.

    He pulls up in front of a restaurant where Ethan's waiting for his date, surprise written all over his face once he sees me in the car. He approaches us and opens my door, helping me out of the car.

    "It's nice to see you, Victoria," he greets me, kissing both of my cheeks.

    "You too, I'm sorry for crashing your date," I tell him, walking towards the restaurant's entrance.

    "Nonsense," he says, scoffing, letting me know he's not bothered.

    We reach our table and I just stay silent, watching them interact, holding their gazes which are filled with a mix of curiosity and fondness, as they explore each other's nuances. When they converse, their words seem to dance, carrying an air of playfulness and a hint of shyness. Their eyes reveal a shared excitement, while their conversations flow effortlessly, a blend of laughter, shared stories, and genuine interest in getting to know each other better. Thomas looks at him full of admiration when his date speaks, reaching all kinds of topics, from the most trivial ones to the most complex ideas they share and I just sit back and admire their dynamic, my heart full at the sight of the forming bond.

    "What about you, Victoria?" I see Ethan turning to me, after taking a sip of his wineglass, catching me off guard as I wasn't paying attention to their conversation.

    "I'm sorry," I tell him embarrassed, "my mind's somewhere else," I copy his action and take a sip from my wine too.

    "It's okay," he smiles, "so, if you don't mind me asking, what's up with Damiano?" He asks, catching me off guard once again, his observation skills impressing me. "You looked pretty upset after you came back inside at the club last night."

    "Well..." I start nervously at the thought of having to relieve yesterday's and even today's events but Thomas interrupts me, helping me out of the uncomfortable situation.

    "He's been acting strange lately," he starts and I thank him with my gaze. "He's been hinting on Vic but got back with this weird ex-girlfriend of his and she's kinda obligating him to stay in that relationship," he sums everything up, making it seem so simple with very few words.

    "And you've fallen for him," I choke on my wine at Ethan's assumption, taken aback by his straightforwardness, making Thomas and I laugh.

    "Thomas thinks there's something going on, a reason why she's keeping him restrained," I start, Ethan tagging along to the plot in no time, as if we've  known each other for ages.

    "Hmm, interesting" my friend's date says in a low voice, ready to join us and try to get to the bottom of everything. "She's holding something against him I'm sure."

    "You think she's blackmailing him?" I ask surprised by the theory, "What could he have possibly done?"

    Thomas takes a bite of his pizza to then alternate his gaze between us both, his playful detective look on, "I guess we'll have to find out."