Chapter 22

“Ma’am, huwag niyo na po akong tanggalin, hindi na po mauulit,” she begged. I shook my head and sipped my coffee. It’s my day off, and I chose to stay in the house just so that I could force my rest here because I know that I am forcing myself to live. But life will not allow me. The moment I woke up, I was scolded by Lolo. He knew that I wasn’t sleeping in Jacob’s room, and I didn’t even try to serve him. That I am not fulfilling my responsibility as the wife of Jacob.

“You’re working for us, Judith, pero sa iba ka nagsisilbi,” I sarcastically said at umiling pa ako. “Bakit hindi ka na lang kay Lolo magtrabaho hindi ‘yung nandito ka pa?”

“Ma’am….”

“Don’t worry, Sanay na ako sa ganito. Firing a maid doesn’t give me hesitations anymore.” I smiled at her, but I’m sure that this isn’t a genuine one. “Umalis ka na lang dala ang huling sahod mo. Thank you for your service.”

“Maam—”

“Please, just leave the house, or else magpapatawag ako ng security guard to accompany you out of the village too.”

I heard her cry as she left the house of Jacob. I shook my head as I finished my cup. I didn’t feel anything toward her. Ilang beses na rin since I did this, and that is for the same reason. I’m getting sick of this.

I cooked my food and did my work. I multitasked, and then I cleaned the house after all the things I could do. When I had nothing to do, I rested on Jacob’s sofa and watched his TV. It was already dark outside, and I wanted to cook food, but I had no will to do it.

I was watching some movies when I saw my phone blink. Jacob messaged me that he would have his dinner meeting. This was our only interaction. Sometimes, it’s a small conversation here if we have a chance to see each other in the morning or in the evening. We basically lived in the office. We were literally busy, and we didn’t make any efforts to have time with each other. That’s why Lolo is agitated, knowing that.

Ever since that wedding happened, I left the apartment to stay at Jacob’s house. I also found out that he never lived here. He just bought it for the sake of future purposes, like what happened to us. But after that first day of our marriage and here in this house, Jacob and I lived like nothing happened.

I turned off the TV to go to my room, which is supposed to be Jacob’s bedroom. He lent it to me, and he was staying in another room. I didn’t mind eating my dinner. I lost my appetite and didn’t even care if I wouldn’t have one.

My day off ended like that. Even though I slept early, I woke up after several hours. My stomach felt empty. I forced myself to sleep, though. I didn’t care if malipasan ako ng gutom.

“I need to finish this, love. Lunch could wait. Baka kapag kumain ako, I need to cram this afterwards,” I begged him.

“Harly—”

“Bye, Sam! You’re disturbing me. Babawi ako sa’yo next time, love!” Then I ended the call immediately, so he couldn’t nag me anymore.