Chapter 24

I feel dizzy. I could feel my deep breath as soon as I woke up. I slowly opened my eyes when I heard some murmurs.

“Harly, darling, are you awake?” I moaned. I had a hard time opening my eyes, but when I did, I scanned the place immediately. “What are you feeling, Harly? May masakit ba?” I looked at Mom, then I smiled.

“I’m fine, Mom. What are you doing here?”

My mom’s soft eyes immediately glared at me. “If Jacob will not call us, we won’t know what’s happening to you!” I winced at her sudden change of tone. And it changed again as she spoke again. “When he told me your condition, my heart broke so hard. How could you do this to me, Harly? Why are you doing this to us?” And she suddenly burst into tears.

I pouted. I managed to sit down and hug her. She kept asking me those questions and shaking her head. I looked at Jacob, and he was sorry. I met Dad’s concerned eyes, then I saw Lolo, who looked disappointed.

“Mom, I just fainted. Why is it a big deal to you?” I asked, chuckling. I smiled at her when she faced me. I felt nervous when I saw her furrowed brows.

“Are you lying again, Harly?” I was about to depend myself, but she shook her head. “Don’t talk, Harly. Every word that comes out of your mouth is just a lie.”

“Mom—”

“You have money and all, Harly,” Lolo suddenly said. I was about to make him leave, but he continued. “You can support yourself with your finances if you take medications and surgery. Why would you waste it and live like you don’t have cancer?”

I was taken aback. That’s why… their looks reminded me how idiotic I am.

“Why are you here?” I asked him back. I couldn’t accept the fact that no matter how many months I tried to hide my illness, malalaman lang nila just because I fainted.

“Use your money to make yourself well, Harly.”

“I don’t want to!” I said out of frustration and glared at Lolo. “Can you stop deciding for us? For me?” I felt Mom hold me to calm myself, but I wouldn’t. “And even if you give me all of your assets, I won’t use them para gumaling ako! Because I don’t want to!” I breathed in and out before I looked at Jacob and pointed Lolo. “Can you make him leave, Jacob? The senyor has nothing to do here.”

“Harly!” Mom and Dad scolded me. But I don’t care anymore. I only looked at Jacob, who’s torn about what he will do.

“Please, Jacob, make him leave.” I shook my head. “I don’t want to see that old man. Please, hear me.” Mom shooed me. I bit my lips as I saw Jacob hesitating, but he still did. He asked Lolo to leave my room politely. I thanked him for that.

“Harly, that was rude.” Mom scolded me in a low voice.

“I’m sorry, Mom,” I said, almost whispering. “But I don’t want him in our family anymore. I couldn’t stay near him. I felt uncomfortable with him.” I pouted. “He doesn’t need us anymore, Mom, please.” She finally nodded. I smiled. “About my cancer—”