Chapter 19

I passed the gate as I threw the door, and I didn’t mind closing it properly. My emotions are already built up, and I don’t know how I could stop myself. I don’t want to come here. I don’t want to see this person, but if Jacob will not help me, I’ll help myself out of it. I don’t need their help. I’ll fight for my love and freedom.

I was stopped by the noises I heard from somewhere. I looked at my Lolo’s private room, and it was slightly open. That’s why I could hear some noises from there.

“Don’t do the same thing to my child, Papa. I’m begging you, not with Harly.” It was from my mom’s voice. It was breaking. Napatigil ako sa paglapit, I felt responsible for breaking my mom’s heart. I didn’t ask her or Dad to do anything, kakaayos lang nila kay Lolo, and I won’t get that chance from them. But hearing my mom beg for my freedom breaks me. I just knew she never said anything when Dad left because of Lolo. She never spoke up after Lolo demonized their relationship. She never begged, but here she is now. Begging for me.

“I’ve had enough with you, Evelyn.” I came back from my thoughts when I heard his voice, and I felt my anger again immediately. “Let your daughter do the things you failed to do for me.”

“She was not happy about it, Papa! She has Sam! She’s in a relationship, and she dreamed to get married only to him, Papa!” Mom cried. I can imagine her saying those things to fight for my dad. “Don’t get those dreams from her. Don’t ruin her entire life! You already did it from half of her life, Papa. Stop this already, stop the wedding, Papa. Think of Harly. Think of your granddaughter, my Harly. She is my only precious, don’t take her happiness from her, Papa. Please!”

“Not with Harly, please.” I heard my father’s slow and hopeful voice. I pouted, as I couldn’t believe that I could hear my father begging and lowering his pride to Lolo just to stand for me. I wiped my tears away as I heard my grandfather scoff.

“And who will pay for the things her parents did?” I bit my lips to stop myself. I wanted to be calm para wala akong pagsisihan. I needed to be calm. “I already accepted you, Harrold Briggs, but I don’t forget easily. I couldn’t face an amigo because of the failed marriage I once offered to him for his son. I couldn’t afford to lose his trust again.”

“But Harly is not some kind of penny you could use to pay for your debt, Papa.” At this moment, I know my mom knows that there’s no chance Lolo will heed them. “Don’t lose the last respect she has for you, Papa… I’m begging you, free her, please!”

Even my throat felt dehydrated. Hearing my parents and facing this man of the house, I took a lot of courage to push the door open and kneel down in front of Lolo. I bowed my head as gasps and disbelief were heard. My tears poured as I closed my eyes to breathe hard, even though I tried to stop myself from crying.

“Stop the wedding, Lolo,” I started. My heart is already breaking. I really tried to calm myself. “I want Sam and nobody else. We are planning to get married. So please… stop this wedding. I couldn’t afford to lose my love.” I shook my head as my tears continued to pour. I cleared my throat to talk again, but Lolo scoffed before he spoke.

“Planning to get married? Do you hear yourself, Harly? That boy doesn’t want to marry you. He couldn’t marry you because of his own issues. He couldn’t fight for you, so why are you wasting your time on him?” And that made me raise my head and look at him.