18.

Taehyung's pov.

flashback

"taehyung, can I have a word with you?" I glanced back with hooded eyes to look at sohee, she was standing there just as I was making my way out of her cabin. I nodded my head, turning back on my heels to her office.

"what is it?" I asked nervously fiddling with my fingers under the table.

"I know you overheard my conversation with your mother." she announced without any expression on her face. how did she know?

"I am an expert in my job, taehyung, an ace. I know what my patients are thinking, I deal with them accordingly, I put myself in their shoes to fix whatever is bothering them. most of the times, I am successful in curing them and it gives me satisfaction as well as pure bliss to know that I helped a fellow being but enduring the pain, watching some of them not being able to make through the trauma, it is unbearable." she paused and looked at me.

God damn woman stop reading my mind it's creepy as fuck.

I tried not giving away my thoughts but I knew it was useless, she would anyway find out.

"what has that got to do with me?" I ask.

"I know you're holding back, you know it too and the only way to fix it is to face and accept it. none of it was your fault and the fact that you have cut off conversation with your loved ones is not only hurting you but them. I know you don't wanna be a burden, but trust me on this. they would love to hear from you."

"you act as if you know me when in reality you know nothing!! all this shit talk you've been feeding me is nonsense. I am pretty sure you do this to each of your patients?? I am sorry that won't work on me. I have-"

"have you ever tuned in to any conversation between two best friends who have not seen or spoken to each other in a while?" she suddenly said catching me off guard.

"no but-"

"you will witness a whirlwind of laughter, tears, and reminiscing. These cherished moments serve as a reminder of the incredible bond that exists between them and the power of human connections. When you finally get the opportunity to talk to your best friend after a long time apart, there is an overwhelming mix of emotions. The anticipation leading up to the conversation is filled with excitement and eagerness, an undeniable thrill in hearing their voice, and exchanging pleasantries feels like a small win."

"sohee what are you-"

"as the conversation progresses, you find yourself falling into a comfortable rhythm as if no time has passed at all. You effortlessly pick up where you left off, seamlessly recounting stories, inside jokes, and shared experiences. The warmth of their voice serves as a soothing balm, reassuring you that despite the physical distance, your friendship has remained intact and unwavering, it's a liberating experience. don't you want to feel that all over again?" she asked looking sharply into my eyes.

my mind went blank. sure I could understand each and every word she was saying at it was making sense but I didn't want to admit it out loud to her. I just couldn't do it.

"you should do it, you will feel as though a weight has been lifted off your shoulders, allowing you to vent about the highs and lows of your life without judgement. I can see you shut off yourself entirely, I am pretty sure your friends and family know about this incident. then what are you so afraid of?"

"I messed up sohee, don't you realise the damage I did to everyone is beyond repair, I can't do anything to change the course of life." my voice choked, she gave me a soft smile.