CHAPTER 09

PETE

Nausea with or without vomiting: Check

Increased urination: Check

Fatigue: Check

Moodiness: Check

Dizziness: Check  

Food aversions: Unfortunately Check.

“Pete?” Kim called his name, dragging Pete’s thoughts back to reality. “Are you even listening?”

Vegas placed his hand on Pete’s back as it for support, like a silent “Are you okay?”

It’s been a week since Pete talked to his grandma about his weird nausea and she told him that his mother felt the same way when she was pregnant. A week since he spent almost the entire day searching about his symptoms and comparing them with pregnancy symptoms. Since then, things only got worse for him. One day, Vegas caught him sleeping on the car while they were driving back home, they were on this conversation about Macau’s school calling Vegas to let him know the day he missed his classes. Even with Pete’s efforts to pay attention and listen what Vegas had to say, he ended up sleeping soundly while leaning on Vegas’s shoulder.

Then the constant peeing started, like he was trying to drink the whole sea. Then, the worst of them all: Food aversion. The day before when Vegas came home, he brought Pete’s favorite dish – which was curry – and as soon as he smelled the steaming curry that Vegas was gently pouring on his plate, his stomach twisted and he throw up even without eating any of it. But, despite his days being hell lately, he tried his best to ignore all of it; after all, every site that he searched, the symptoms were followed by the warning “those are also common in stressed routines”, which was definitely what he was having this past month. Besides, if you don’t do a test, you’re not pregnant, right?

“Sorry, I dozed off a bit, what did you say?” Pete said a little embarrassed.

That morning, Pete and Vegas headed to the Main Family Manor to discuss the plans for their reunion with the Huàng Family, which would be held in two days. Since he learned about this mission, Pete needed to activate his strategic mode in order to prepare himself for it.

And boy, how long it has been...

Four days after Arm called Pete to told him about what he discovered about Hàoyǔ’s family, he texted Pete informing the date of the meeting as well as the place where it was going to be held. Arm was smart enough to ask for the meeting to be held in Nonthaburi since it was a little afar from Bangkok and Ekamai, both places where Vegas could “easily know about Pete’s betrayal”.  

“I asked how many men you want to bring with us.” Kim asked again, a little annoyed.

When Pete and Vegas arrived at the manor that early in the morning, Pete immediately learned that wake up early – especially when your boyfriend is still sound asleep in the next room – was not Kim’s favorite thing to do. He received them with sunglasses on and a mug of black coffee in hands. That was a clear sign that Tankhun asked them to went out the night before. Pete himself knew exactly what that was like.

“To be honest, I don’t think that bring people is a good idea.” Pete said calmly.

“Absolutely not.” Vegas protested. “The idea of going alone is even worse.”

“Just think about it.” Pete started. “More people there mean more chance of Yìchen suspect about eventual leaking of information. If he arrives there and there’s a bunch of bodyguards with us, he would hardly believe that we convinced that much of people to betray Kinn.”