CHAPTER 13

VEGAS

“When you called me, I thought you would at least give me a day to check things up.”

Vegas saw the sun went down the horizon inside the car. They drove to Pattaya, just a few hours away from Bangkok, which made Vegas a little suspicious of that so said specialist hired by Kinn. When the car stopped, they were in front of a house that at first sight, Vegas would tell it was a regular one with green loan in the front, a white porch and yellow curtains by the windows; it looked like one of those houses you see in movies. Then, a lean and small figure came out of the front door wearing overalls and all stars on her feet. She was a petit woman with her blond died hair tight up high on a ponytail and glasses that were quite stylish on Vegas’s taste.

She smiled and waved at them.

“Knowing how you work; I believe you already have the answer I’m looking for.” Kinn answered with a mischievous look on his face. “Can we come inside?”

“Of course, you can. I’m making coffee, be my guests.” She said politely.

With that, Vegas, Kinn, Kim, Porsche and Arm got out of the car and started walking towards the house silently, only the sound of the casual mumbling coming from the woman who leaded them could be heard. Inside was just as normal as the outside with everything neatly organized, despite the small space. The smell of coffee filled the kitchen and the living room, which made Vegas think of Pete and how he would occasionally wake up first and go down stairs to prepare himself a generous cup of coffee. He smiled with that memory, quite eager to have that again soon, to wake up with Pete by his side, to talk with him until they fall asleep and to smell the coffee coming from downstairs.

Wait... Can pregnant people drink coffee?

“When the car arrived at my wife’s place, she sent me the photos.” The woman said gently while grabbing six mugs with different colors from the top shelve and placed them on the small round table. “I have to tell you... I was quite surprised by it.”

“Your wife?” Vegas asked. “So, there’s more people knowing that we’re investigating this?” He looked at Kinn. “I thought we couldn’t afford to be exposed like that.”

“Well, I think you don’t know who I am.” The woman said a little sharply, but the smile never left her face. “My wife and I work as the investigation team consultants for years now. We work for them and sometimes... well, sometimes we decide to help families with cases like yours. So, you can say that confidentiality is the foundation of our work.”

Vegas went silent at that, but the doubt was still there. Deep down, he knew he was probably exaggerating a little bit, but after what happened, it would take a little while for him to start trusting people again, especially the ones he didn’t know.

“So, like I was saying, I was quite surprised with the pictures.” She continued while pouring coffee inside the mugs.

“Why so?” Kim asked while taking one steaming mug.

“Well, firstly because you told me the person who was inside the car lived.”

Vegas frowned at that.

“I think it’s better if we go downstairs to talk. It’ll be better to explain this with pictures.”

They all grabbed one mug and followed her to a white wooden door by the end of the narrow hallway, right behind the kitchen. On their way there, Vegas was looking around; seeing the photos inside the frames hanging on the walls; there were photos of that woman with another woman who looked taller than her. In most photos they were smiling or kissing each other while laughing; in one of them, Vegas saw a little boy smiling while hugging them, his cute little arms tangled around their necks.