Chapter 18: Attention

Y/N POV

GRUB TIME!

Jinx sits at our table after finding what she wants to eat, which was a quesadilla by the looks of it. 

Kai: So... *munch* When did you guys first meet? 

Jinx: That's the question I should ask you guys!

She starts stuffing her face, immediately so she can't answer Kai. 

Y/N: W-well... 

Kai: Ummm...

Y/N: D-do you want to? 

Kai: D-do you want...

Jinx giggles as she eats, watching us fumble a conversation. 

Y/N: Fuck it, I'll do it. When I first arrived on campus, she was rushing to the elevator, her backpack wide open and stuff could've flown everywhere. So... I held it for her. What happened next? 

Kai: W-what happened next was when we introduced each other... but right before that, I had to get a look at him. Once I saw him, I was hooked...

Y/N: So, she leans down in front of me to look up at me, hitting the fourth-floor button. 

Jinx: You sly dog... so then you guys hit it off like that? 

Kai: N-no... he moved in while I did stuff for classes, then I told all my friends about this cute guy I met... and... each of them were trying to steal him! Like, the nerve! 

Jinx: The other... K/DA members? WHAT?! HOLY FUCK!

Kai: SHHHH!!! Yeah, and then, we had a lockdown, got a moment to talk just a little before he stormed off... I didn't know what that meant until last night...

Y/N: Right, I had my... episode... and then things went on. We first hit it off when Evelynn got laid out by... her most recent ex. 

I point my thumb at Kai, and she sits there uncomfortably. 

Kai: I asked him out on a date... and... unlike saying no to coming into my dorm before, granted all the girls were in there, he said yes and... later that night, we saw a movie, went to a bar. He doesn't like Akali or Seraphine very much, they don't understand what's going on...

Jinx: They kept poking at him... yeah, I know exactly what that's like, nobody will understand unless they've seen the things you've seen, Y/N...

She puts her hand on mine, then smirks, then goes back to stuffing. 

She's right, she's very right, I'm happy to have a friend with me that understands what I'm going through.

She did enough to feel some of my pain, it's fair. 

But... now I'm hoping I have a girlfriend that understands too after that first night. 

Kai: He gave me a look of just... dread... fear... then immediately pushed me away, stood up, marching to his car. I... I didn't know what was going on, it seemed like an anxiety attack, I've had them before. I see him stumble into his car, then roll back and forth in the seat, I knew it was something worse than an anxiety attack...

Jinx: Sounds about right...

Kai: I sit in the car with him, he's crying, but struggling... it's... terrifying... he slams his head against the wheel, like he's grasping something solid that he can hold onto, like he needs stability. 

Jinx: And... you gave it to him...

Kai: Yeah... I consoled him first, then once he knew I was there... I offered myself... he needs someone, just like we all do... I hugged him, he laid into me, I was like a mother to her crying child but... that's what it looked like. He told me what he's done and what Mundo said about him on the radio, along with the episode he just had, it just clicked, I knew I needed to be with him. I don't know if it's part pity or... what... but... I love him so much, he's a great guy that needs people in his life.